Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever want to move abroad to live in other LGBT communities for a while?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind trying out Toronto for a while. I've been to London a good few times, the scene can be a bit overpowering.

Any good experiences in many other LGBT cities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It's not really a reason I'd have for moving tbh. I'd avoid certain places if they had negative reports of human rights etc for LGBT folks, but I wouldn't choose one place over another purely on the basis of their LGBT scene. Be nice to live in New York or Boston though, the lesbian scene there seems pretty good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I found the experience of travelling living abroad was really good for me. It was great getting away from any concern about upsetting family or work and having the space to find out what it was like to simply be myself.
    San Francisco has such a large LGBT community they seem to include it naturally among the things you might be on meeting you like, you might be European but which country, or you might belong to a particular faith and you might not. Its very liberating not being

automatically being PRESUMED straight. Its also nice to be flirted with, overtly, by complete strangers in supermarkets, crossing the road and just anywhere. There were so many dukes and they weren't afraid they might be making a mistake and I would freak out. A friend of mine went for an interview as a teacher and told them she was gay. They said ok and you are including this information because. . . And she said in case parents or anyone had a problem with that I thought you should know first....They said thank you and if any parents do have any problems with that we can reccomend them to a good counsellor.
    You meet people with different ideas, ways of doing things etc it can really challenge and make you aware of your own biases, ideas, presumptions, IF you are open to it.
    But anywhere has its problems and drawbacks and the biggest thing to remember I think is you bring yourself with you wherever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Ambersky wrote: »
    I found the experience of travelling living abroad was really good for me. It was great getting away from any concern about upsetting family or work and having the space to find out what it was like to simply be myself.
    San Francisco has such a large LGBT community they seem to include it naturally among the things you might be on meeting you like, you might be European but which country, or you might belong to a particular faith and you might not. Its very liberating not being

automatically being PRESUMED straight. Its also nice to be flirted with, overtly, by complete strangers in supermarkets, crossing the road and just anywhere. There were so many dukes and they weren't afraid they might be making a mistake and I would freak out. A friend of mine went for an interview as a teacher and told them she was gay. They said ok and you are including this information because. . . And she said in case parents or anyone had a problem with that I thought you should know first....They said thank you and if any parents do have any problems with that we can reccomend them to a good counsellor.
    You meet people with different ideas, ways of doing things etc it can really challenge and make you aware of your own biases, ideas, presumptions, IF you are open to it.
    But anywhere has its problems and drawbacks and the biggest thing to remember I think is you bring yourself with you wherever you go.

*Adds San Francisco to list of places I want to visit! ;)*

Advertisement