Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EBS Debit Card

Options
  • 05-09-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Recently opened an EBS account but am having trouble making payments even though there are funds available. It just seems like a lot of companies don't accept it. Anyone else have the same issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Disturbed to hear that, I've just opened an EBS moneymanager a/c and it comes with a debit card, have got the PIN but the card hasn't arrived yet. Isn't it down to the card company i.e. VISA or Mastercard, rather than that it's an EBS card?

Are you encountering problems in retail shops or online?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, a bit more info might be needed: where is giving you trouble? Online or face to face etc.

In theory, it should be accepted anywhere a MasterCard credit card is, so apart from Aldi that's pretty much most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Just a few online retailers haven't accepted it. And I couldn't use it to pay money to Ulster bank off my mortgage or to top up my electricity with prepaypower.

Have only used it a couple of times in shops and that's been ok so far

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I've used this card online without any difficulties, so any problems are specific rather than general.
    Indeed the EBS card should be a good plan for transactions with the UK as it has a better exchange rate than most cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Anybody have any idea what the problem is with Ulster Bank and Prepaypower in relation to EBS Debit Card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea what the problem is with Ulster Bank and Prepaypower in relation to EBS Debit Card?

I think you'll find that it's an issue they have with Mastercard Debit cards rather than specifically EBS customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just checked prepaypower website and they only give an option for MasterCard but no MasterCard Debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

A lot of places only have the option for visa and it works for both debit and credit. Thought it would be the same for mastercard but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Used it in a few more shops yesterday with no problems so it seems to only affect card not present transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

I've had this card for over a year now and i think i can count 2 places that wouldn't accept it. 1 said his machine was old and couldn't accept it and the second was similar. I've used it for various things online with no problems.

I will say alot of places are surprised to see a mastercard debit card as most of the time its' visa debit but it works fine in the machines.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Generally in these cases it's the retailers end (and the organisation processing their payments) that is the problem: their terminal/transaction processing software hasn't been updated with the relevant information.
    I will say alot of places are surprised to see a mastercard debit card as most of the time its' visa debit but it works fine in the machines.

With KBC offering them now also, and Danske introducing them soon they'll see (a small few) more, so that might be less of an issue :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement