Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

verified by visa - how to opt out

Options
  • 05-09-2013 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭

Buying something online recently I got the message to opt in for "verified by visa" which I did. I regret that from day one. My card doesn't work with Amazon anymore, as they don't charge you immediately, only upon sending the goods. Therefore every time they want to charge me the order fail, effectively locking me out of any Amazon transaction.
    How to opt out from the bloody thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    Buying something online recently I got the message to opt in for "verified by visa" which I did. I regret that from day one. My card doesn't work with Amazon anymore, as they don't charge you immediately, only upon sending the goods. Therefore every time they want to charge me the order fail, effectively locking me out of any Amazon transaction.
    How to opt out from the bloody thing?

I recently had to get a new card when my son lost his card on my account. I was asked to sign up for it again when making a large purchase. So if you want to opt out, report your card as lost and cut it up!

...but why would you want to opt out? I've never found it a problem on Amazon or any other site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

For some time I avoided signing up, but at some point there was no other way.
    ...but why would you want to opt out? I've never found it a problem on Amazon or any other site.
    Did you read my post? it's taking my money not at the time of shopping, but at the time of shipping, when (obviously) I cannot confirm it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

For some time I avoided signing up, but at some point there was no other way.

Did you read my post? it's taking my money not at the time of shopping, but at the time of shipping, when (obviously) I cannot confirm it

That shouldn't cause any problems Amazon doesn't use verified by visa. My cards are all enrolled but use it on Amazon the whole time with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^As above, amazon doesn't use vbv so this isn't the issue. Sounds a strange one though! You can't opt out of VbV anyway; it's a system set up by Visa and any sites that comply will ask you to sign up. You can skip it twice iirc but the third time it comes up, it will make you sign up.

don't know what their problem is in that case :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Have you been asked to use the vbv function when purchasing from amazon?

nope

nope

then how can it be preventing you from purchasing on amazon if you weren't asked to use it. Its strange

I've assumed this is what's causing the trouble, can't think of any other thing atm.

I've assumed this is what's causing the trouble, can't think of any other thing atm.

If your not able to complete a transaction contact amazon directly and explain the problem. I am sure it can be sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

VBV is a massive pain in the <insert term here> IMO. I have lost count of the times I've had to reset it and I ended up on a 30 minute call with them one night because it was refusing to accept the password I'd only just set.

I haven't run into it with Amazon though. Tesco uses it, as does Domino's but thankfully MOST sites I use aren't forcing it on me.

I do get the need for security but it seems that it's now tipping into the territory of making the whole thing inconvenient and off-putting. No doubt the next move will be thumb prints/retina scans but I personally would be fine with that actually.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As it's been established it it's NOT an issue with VbV, the thread is slightly redundant now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement