Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare PhD Student

Options
  • 05-09-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows...

Can a PhD Student's whose funding has run out but is still writing up their thesis and are available for Part-time work... Sign-on with Social Welfare?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

(d) Students completing theses/projects:

The legislation provides for disqualification while attending a full-time day course of study. Third level students who have completed final examinations but are completing theses or projects cannot be regarded as still attending a full-time day course of study and, therefore, cannot be disqualified under this provision. Entitlement may, however, be considered under the availability condition, - Section 141 (4)(c) depending on the degree of commitment to the project/thesis.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseekers-Allowance.aspx

I'd imagine that to claim you would need to make yourself available for and seek full time work and complete your thesis 'on your own time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 manuelkuhs

Since I'm in a similar position and just found this thread, I though I'd update it.

There's actually a more relevant part of the document that Balagan quotes:

(e) Postgraduate (research) students:

Students pursuing a course at Postgraduate level by research only, who do not have fixed lectures or holidays but who work "at their own pace" until the thesis is submitted should have their entitlement examined. Each case should be examined on an individual basis to ensure that the general availability/ GSW conditions are satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mendoza

Wonder how Oddsox got on.

I'm in the middle of a battle with them over this. Basically they just saying if you're 'full-time' student your not eligible.

I had found the passage that manuelkuhs quotes. Nothing mentioned about full--time or part-time in it and I'm entirely research only. I don't have any lectures just have to check in with my supervisor every so often. Nothing that would get in the way of full-time work, which I'm applying obviously.

So if anyone else had some success in this regard please let me know. I've heard of people, and knew some, that got it but I'm guessing its look of the draw as I've had to send my application to the social welfare appeals office.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

I'm undergoing the same process at the moment, i only received 3 years of funding but i'm still a student in the college until September, I started the application process as soon as my funding ran out (2 months ago at this stage) and have been means tested and met with an inspector. Even with a letter from my supervisor saying I in receipt of no further funding, am not involved in any day courses and am available for full time work (even though i am still writing my thesis), the inspector still asked for further proof from the college as to my 'student status'. I am guessing that the inspector is not aware of the above passages quoted form their own website. I'll be asking the college to quote those passages in the letter they prepare for me to send to the inspector and to be honest I can't see how they could possibly turn down the claim!

Will let you know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

You have to be able to prove you are actively looking for work. I am sure there are jobs out there that if you were offered you would take. The kind of jobs you are hoping to get once you get your phd. Apply for them now even though there is a slim chance of getting them and also anywhere you could get extra funding. Then when interviewed bring all the rejection letters to show that you are looking for work. Applying for them now will also give you good experience. You also have to be able to prove to the people in the social welfare dept that you have a plan on how you are going to get off social welfare. For example I am going to focus on finding and applying for these kind of jobs for X number of months, but after that if I am not after getting a good replies I am going to volunteer here for experience or so on. They probably do not get many people in your position there so you should have a better idea than them on how to get off social welfare as soon as possible. If you can demonstrate to them that you are working hard on getting a job, are actively applying for ft work and have a plan it should be an easier process. Good luck writing up and getting employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 BrefSpill

my friend was in the same position and was able to make a successful claim by providing evidence of actively seeking part time employment. It was a monitored issue however from what I remember.

Advertisement