Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best I can do for €500?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

As of yesterday, my laptop is completely gone. Served me well for four years without any major hitches.

I have no clue about laptops right now.

I need decent battery life, and I want it to be pretty zippy in general. I'll probably throw an SSD in instead of the HDD. Laptop is mainly a college yoke, so lightness would be nice. Was thinking about a surface RT but unfortunately that's too limiting.

Don't really care about screen size, have no need for a tenkey built in. Don't really want a netbook but if it fits the bill, why not.

I don't care about gaming, as I have a rig built for that.

I would really appreciate any help as I don't even know where to look anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Is that €500 with or without the SSD? Still hard to get "decent battery life" at this price, around 3 hrs, 4 tops is the best you can hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Torqay wrote: »
    Is that €500 with or without the SSD?

I'd rather include the €80 odd for the SSD in the money if possible but I meant up to €500 for the laptop alone

Grab some budget Core i3 laptop for 400 yoyos from laptopsdirect.ie or saveonlaptops.co.uk.

hardwareversand.de is selling the 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD for €88.

That should get you going. If you have some cash left, invest in some more memory, they usually come with 4 GB only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

If you look around (I only looked on Amazon FR/DE) many sites, you can get an i5 delivered for €400 - €450.
    Ideally for you ~ €400 as you want cash for SSD.
    Look around and there are better deals out there.

You could get something like this for €407 delivered to Parcel Motel (+€3.50 delivered to Petrol Station)

or these
    http://www.amazon.de/Acer-Aspire-E1-571-53234G50Mnks-Notebook-schwarz/dp/B00CI3B5MY/

This ships to Ireland - €450 delivered
    www.amazon.de/Pavillon-2241sg-Notebook-Graphics-schwarz/dp/B009WPSKC4/
    Information about keyboard layout: You will receive this product with a German layout (QWERTZ), if the product you are buying is dispatched from and sold by Amazon.de, if not mentioned otherwise. If the product is dispatched from and sold by third-party sellers their details of the product apply.

The keyboard layout wouldn't bother me, especially not for the price difference.

Also, HP have ongoing promotions for cashback. It varies from retailer to retailer.

In another thread someone posted a 14" HP Core i3 (ULV) laptop for €370 @ SOL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement