Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Order - Rip off price to buy

Options
  • 05-09-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

A €45.00 postal order cost me €47.90 at the post office today

An absolute rip off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,498 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Explain how/why you consider this a rip off? Bearing in mind that there are two offices (sending and receiving) which need to be paid for their services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

2.90 charge for a postal order?

Sorry, but I think you are completely out of touch.

Thats cheaper than a bank draft and for what it is, I think thats quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MYOB wrote: »
    Explain how/why you consider this a rip off? Bearing in mind that there are two offices (sending and receiving) which need to be paid for their services.
    2.90 charge for a postal order?

Sorry, but I think you are completely out of touch.

Thats cheaper than a bank draft and for what it is, I think thats quite reasonable.

It's a rip off because a cheque is 50 cent that's why !

And before you ask, no, I don't have a chequebook, and they wouldn't accept credit card/debit card, that in itself is so archaic

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Why didn't you request a chequebook then?

that cheap dude and your sending money saftely

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »

And before you ask, no, I don't have a chequebook, and they wouldn't accept credit card/debit card, that in itself is so archaic

Errr, no its not.

Off the top of my head, the cheque stamp duty (tax) is 50c
    The transaction fee on the average irish bank account is what? 30c? Then there may be a quarterly fee. That makes 80c at least. Thats just to access cash in your own bank account.

With the postal order, you have to pay a person to write it, using their cheque book.
    Then you have the use of their bank account as you dont use yours.
    On top they look for profit (who doesnt).

Still not a rip off IMO

I wish my banking costs for the week in the shop were that much of a "rip off"

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

A €45.00 postal order cost me €47.90 at the post office today

An absolute rip off

not a rip off. seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had to get one to pay for a travel visa before, embassy not taking cash or CC, thought it strange, but was surprised at how cheap they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,498 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you get someone else to write your cheques for you then? If so, do they do it for free?

Does the person you're sending a cheque to get to cash it without charges? Extremely unlikely.

• Advertisement

Why didn't you request a chequebook then?

It costs €12.50 for a book of cheques (25 cheques)
    Errr, no its not.

Off the top of my head, the cheque stamp duty (tax) is 50c
    The transaction fee on the average irish bank account is what? 30c? Then there may be a quarterly fee. That makes 80c at least. Thats just to access cash in your own bank account.

With the postal order, you have to pay a person to write it, using their cheque book.
    Then you have the use of their bank account as you dont use yours.
    On top they look for profit (who doesnt).

Still not a rip off IMO

I have free banking, no transaction fees, quarterly charges or other
    MYOB wrote: »
    Do you get someone else to write your cheques for you then? If so, do they do it for free?

Does the person you're sending a cheque to get to cash it without charges? Extremely unlikely.

Don't have a chequebook.

Had to get a postal order as this is only format the company would take.

For me it's a piece of paper that makes a payment at the end of the day, I don't expect it free but I just thought €2.90 was a bit steep

You now only pay for the cheques you use not the entire book, with Ulster Bank anyway.

It's 6% of the amount you sent hardly daylight robbery.

Some shops have to pay over 3% to take card payments, a rip off.

Don't have a chequebook.

For me it's a piece of paper that makes a payment at the end of the day, I don't expect it free but I just thought €2.90 was a bit steep

Thats very good if you have it.

Which bank has NO fees ?

Ulster Bank have no fees if you keep a certain amount lodged, permanent tsb the same if you lodge so much a month.

Students and OAPs normally a fee free accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Don't have a chequebook.

Banks without charges are just making money from your money.

The Post Office does not operate in the same way and operates on a per transaction basis.

2.90 is pretty reasonable, in Austria for example you pay 7.20 for any amount up to 9000 euros for Postal Order.

Compared to Western Union its way cheaper, e.g. sending 130 euros with Western Union you would have paid 13.80.

Thats very good if you have it.

Which bank has NO fees ?

PTSB, conditions apply

Wicwatson - what do you think the fee should fee be?

An Post need to make a profit from it.

€1.00/€1.50 at most. It took 2 seconds to print on the piece of paper. And they got postage out of me 60c !

€1.00/€1.50 at most. It took 2 seconds to print on the piece of paper. And they got postage out of me 60c !

Well, if you lived in the UK, it would have cost you EUR 5.63.

"Got Postage out of me" - costs associated with this service too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

ironically you could have saved 50c by getting 3 x €15 postal orders.

• Advertisement

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think the minimum charge for a postal order is €5.50....... now that is a Rip off if you only want one for a lot less.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

haha, thats mad, I wouldn't have risked it in my case, I could just picture them insisting it had to be a single one.
    danjo-xx wrote: »
    I think the minimum charge for a postal order is €5.50....... now that is a Rip off if you only want one for a lot less.:mad:
    Its not, see the prices here
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/ProductsAndServices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7bFF495B49-C556-42B8-B2CF-C5D45CC58777%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fanpost%2fmaincontent%2fpersonal%2bcustomers%2fmoney%2bmatters%2fmoney%2btransfer%2f&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#HowMuch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ooops sorry I think I was thinking of Registered Letters/packets

Nice of them to advise that in the post office, once bitten twice shy !

It's laughable really, they would have had to print 3 postal orders and it would have been 50c cheaper. LOL, good aul Ireland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

But its not the same thing as a cheque, you are not comparing like with like.

A cheque links to your personal bank account and has no money behind it until lodged/cashed and processed. It can still bounce.

A postal order has money behind it, it won't bounce and is not in anyway linked to your bank account.

You say a cheque is cheaper, but you forget the bank fee's that most people pay just to have the bank account to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 freshface2

Get a Cheque BOOK

Advertisement