Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband in Ireland

Options
  • 05-09-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Seen a few posts about this over the last while.

Today I finally have been forced into the Satellite option, no wireless or wired option available.

Digiweb today told me their Satellite is at capacity:

"We are full to capacity at the minute for satellite.....we will not be taking new orders for anothe r6 weeks or so until we source a new satellite"

I've not got any reply from onwave or kbo via their contact forms.

Has anyone recently got Satellite broadband and is happy with the service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

oisink wrote: »
    Today I finally have been forced into the Satellite option, no wireless or wired option available.

Has anyone recently got Satellite broadband and is happy with the service?

Have you seen http://irelandoffline.org/map/ ?

Check if there are any wireless providers in your area there.

Satellite is not broadband, it looks a bit like broadband but it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Try Niall Quinns crowd

http://www.qsat.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oisink

Thanks bealtine, I understand the limitations of Satellite service (latency, download caps) and have exhausted all wireless options, both mobile and fixed wireless.

I used that site to check for availability in my area, Ripplecom could be an option but seem to have a terrible reputation on boards and anywhere you look online for reviews.

I had digiweb metro but trees have grown between my receiver and the base over time meaning I can't continue with it.

Based on where I am situated, there are no other fixed wireless options as trees surround the house.

Thanks listermint, but qsat's download caps are too small (maximum under residental is 15GB a month).

So, I'm still looking for Satellite but one with a decent download cap (70GB+) and understand this would cost around €100 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jssp

where are you based?
    try www.europasat.com
    there ses broadband packs are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You should keep an eye out for any new antennas you see around your area, where I live 3 different antennas have popped up in the last 6 months or so. I was in a similar situation as the main hill that wireless providers used was out of sight from my house but now they have started to put antennas in other areas to serve newer customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 oisink

As an update, had the guys out from Wicklow Broadband (http://www.wicklowbroadband.com) today, was a tricky install due to the position of the house (trees I mentioned earlier were blocking most directions options) but the engineer (James) persevered and got a signal. Service / Performance seems excellent so far, getting more or less the stated speeds (7Mb/1Mb). I'll probably upgrade to a higher package if it stays reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

oisink wrote: »
    As an update, had the guys out from Wicklow Broadband (http://www.wicklowbroadband.com) today, was a tricky install due to the position of the house (trees I mentioned earlier were blocking most directions options) but the engineer (James) persevered and got a signal. Service / Performance seems excellent so far, getting more or less the stated speeds (7Mb/1Mb). I'll probably upgrade to a higher package if it stays reliable.

Glad you got to avoid crappy satellite:)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hopefully the trees don't grow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How did the manage to get a signal past the trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

A balaclava, chainsaw and a stormy night would cure those trees getting in the way. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

A balaclava, chainsaw and a stormy night would cure those trees getting in the way. :D

I'm willing to pay someone to do that at this rate... :o

Advertisement