Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Sunday - Which Newspaper?

Options
  • 05-09-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Last Sunday on the morning of the highest profile match of the GAA season todate the 2 Irish broadsheets had English Premier League plastered all over the front page of their sports sections. In the case or the Times is 2/3 of the front page was dedicated to a match where Newcastle beat Fulham 1 - 0 ! I know there is a big appetite for English soccer in Ireland but is that really front page on the dad Dublin play Kerry in an All Ireland semi final?

This trend is only going one way as Premier league hype sweeps the country, gleefully put on a pedestal by the "Irish" media. Over the past number of years with the possible exception or the 2011 All Ireland football final (Dub v Kerry) our "Irish" Sunday Papers have adorned the front page of their sport section with English soccer on All Ireland Sunday. Whatever about any other day, surely All Ireland Sunday is sacred. Could you imagine the Americans leading with some nothing story about Fulham, Man U or Chelsea on the morning of the Super Bowl? I think not.

I know it may be giving a lot of people what they want but it is also adding more fuel to the fire, making Premier League even more hyped and more desirable. On Saturday and Sundays our national radio stations carry live English Soccer commentary (Radio 1 being the exception but they have reporters at every ground) and I challenge you to find a pub in Ireland to sit in on a Saturday or Sunday for 40 weeks of the year without being force fed the same diet of Premier League on a host of big Screens.

This is Ireland, yet to any visitor all we are doing is selling them England. 100 million leaves our bankrupt economy every year to the coffers of the mega rich English Premier League, a figure that is rising even in this recession. We are completely selling out and losing our identity, our Irishness here.

To send a small message to the media, I'd like to see a bit of a cause started where on All Ireland Sunday before you buy your Sunday paper have glance at their lead story and go with the one that leads with the All Ireland .... If you can find such paper!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Its the Sunday Times, its an English paper. Dont think any of the writers in that paper do the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

dahayeser wrote: »
    Last Sunday on the morning of the highest profile match of the GAA season todate the 2 Irish broadsheets had English Premier League plastered all over the front page of their sports sections. In the case or the Times is 2/3 of the front page was dedicated to a match where Newcastle beat Fulham 1 - 0 ! I know there is a big appetite for English soccer in Ireland but is that really front page on the dad Dublin play Kerry in an All Ireland semi final?

This trend is only going one way as Premier league hype sweeps the country, gleefully put on a pedestal by the "Irish" media. Over the past number of years with the possible exception or the 2011 All Ireland football final (Dub v Kerry) our "Irish" Sunday Papers have adorned the front page of their sport section with English soccer on All Ireland Sunday. Whatever about any other day, surely All Ireland Sunday is sacred. Could you imagine the Americans leading with some nothing story about Fulham, Man U or Chelsea on the morning of the Super Bowl? I think not.

I know it may be giving a lot of people what they want but it is also adding more fuel to the fire, making Premier League even more hyped and more desirable. On Saturday and Sundays our national radio stations carry live English Soccer commentary (Radio 1 being the exception but they have reporters at every ground) and I challenge you to find a pub in Ireland to sit in on a Saturday or Sunday for 40 weeks of the year without being force fed the same diet of Premier League on a host of big Screens.

This is Ireland, yet to any visitor all we are doing is selling them England. 100 million leaves our bankrupt economy every year to the coffers of the mega rich English Premier League, a figure that is rising even in this recession. We are completely selling out and losing our identity, our Irishness here.

To send a small message to the media, I'd like to see a bit of a cause started where on All Ireland Sunday before you buy your Sunday paper have glance at their lead story and go with the one that leads with the All Ireland .... If you can find such paper!
    Well said, I was in a pub on Sunday last where there are 10 televisions and 9 of them were showing soccer during the minor match. The media in this country are partly responsible for overhyping mediocre premier league matches. Last Sunday 96 minutes produced one goal and few chances whereas in 73 minutes in the Dublin Kerry matche there was 6 despite the goal being nearly 2/3 of the size

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

We only have two Irish newspapers on a Sunday, don't we...The Sindo and the Sunday Worst? The rest of them are Irish versions of English owned and ran papers. What motivation do they have to give the GAA the time of day? None really.

The GAA will always be playing second fiddle in the media to soccer and rugby until it gets better at marketing itself & county boards, managers and players stop being so paranoid about always keeping the media at arms length. Why should the papers devote endless pages to the game when in the week leading up to it, they had access to just one player from each county and a couple of mangers who spouted bland sound bites for a whopping 5 minutes. If you are the sports editor for a newspaper, there is only so much you can do with such limited access.

Contrast that with the soccer and rugby worlds, where daily press conferences by managers, constant photo ops, players frequently available for one on one in depth interviews etc etc & is it any wonder that they & their sport are all over the papers and the telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

By far and away the best GAA paper is the Examiner but unfortunately they dont run a Sunday version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭kksaints

Oddly enough today's Indo which is a GAA paper no matter what people say gives nearly more coverage to the sacking of a second tier Football team manager than the Hurling Final on Sunday in the sports pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

To cover GAA or LoI soccer the Irish papers need actual journalists to do it.

To cover EPL soccer they can just buy reports, opion pieces and colour stories from English papers.

The second option is cheaper and can fill more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I avoid pubs when Premier or Champions League is on, so thats basically from August til May. I ignore all the soccer match reports in the Irish and Sunday Independent. I find it hard to believe that people actually read them.

Advertisement