Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Basta lock

Options
  • 05-09-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can anyone help me with information? I need to change the Basta lock on an internal door as it keeps sticking and is hard to lock and open. Just looked up Woodys website and seen that the locks come in 2 different sizes, 2.5" and 3". Can anyone tell me what the standard lock size is for an internal door or how I could find this out? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

take off the handle on one side of the door (usually four small screws)
    Then take out the square bar (be careful not to lock yourself into the room!
    Take out the lock from the side of the door, this is usually two more screws and some doors have a fancy cover plate over this so this may have to be taken off first.
    Once you have these screws out you can slide the lock out, maybe jimmy it from the top with a flat head screwdriver, then bring the lock with you so you get the right one!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sherryb

Ha! Good idea! Never even crossed my mind to bring it with me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

Before you buy, have a good look at the lock and try to see why it's sticking. You might be able to fix it. Do you think that the "stickiness" is internal to the lock? Perhaps some oil could fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sherryb

I have no idea why it's sticking, it's like the lock wasn't fit right to begin with. Near impossible to even get the key in it from the outside of the room. Maybe if I even took it off and put it back on again it might work better!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭chris445

First look through the keyholes and make sure the keyhole on the handles are aligned with the keyhole in the lock mechanism. It may be the case that the handles were put on crooked. Also it could be that there wasnt a big enough hole drilled in the door for the keyhole. If it looks like there is timber in the way, take the handles off and the lock out and widen the hole. If it is that the handles are put on wrong or the hole not drilled big enough then you will have the same problem even with a new lock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement