Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best console headset

Options
  • 05-09-2013 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

Ok im wanting to upgrade my headset soon been looking at the astro a40 a50 and the turtle beach xp510.
    wondering has anyone tried these? Is there any others I should be looking at?
    I currently have a set of earforce kilos. not worried about price tbh, wired or wireless is not important just want to get the best set out there, had a good look online on this subject but i never seem to get a good answer. I use mine mostly for fps and connectivity to phone etc not important either
    I had been leaning towards the a40s but i like the customisable presets on the xp510 and the a50 are supposed to have unbelievable sound!
    Are there any places around where i can try before i buy? or should i just wait until next year when new ps4/xb1 models are released?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

anyone tried any of the above/opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If you have a PlayStation the Sony Pulse headset is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wouldn't buy any of the Turtle beach ones they're poorly made and sound terrible with most having a very noticeable amount of white noise.

The Astros are over priced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

the 600 euro sennheiser ftw!

Varik wrote: »
    Wouldn't buy any of the Turtle beach ones they're poorly made and sound terrible with most having a very noticeable amount of white noise.

The Astros are over priced.

Really are the sets that poor? from what i have been reading they seem to be the top 3 sets available? have you any alternitives?

Richard when i said the cost didnt matter i didnt mean 600 lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Get any headset you want
    most decent headsets have great sounds
    At the moment im using my turtlebeachx12s only cost me 60quid think their 40now
    and i can hear everything
    their excellent, probably the best turtlebeach ones imho
    i can soundwhore real bad in games :P
    but then again any other headset you get can do this to
    theirs only so much you can hear in a game, and only so high you can higher your tv and bass boost on a headset
    really its all a scam
    because all the headsets are quite well made and all have surround sound

ive had, trittons , turtlebeach , astros you name it and they all sound the same

my favourite were the tritton warhead 7.1 , cost me 289.99e
    broke them stupid me, but if you have the cash i would get them, they only broke because i stepped on them and the headset snapped, and i hate using something that i broke, i prefer brand new haha bad habit of mine
    reason i picked up a cheap pair of x12s

http://www.t3.com/features/best-gaming-headsets/tritton-warhead-624-jpg heres a good site shows the top 16, not sure if its the latest but the tritton headset im on about is placed 4th
    turtle beach is apparently first with their new headset

but im telling ya now, id just get a cheapish pair that can do surround sound and have a decent mic cause it wont be worth your wild forking out over 100 quid for a newer pair , the prices on these drop dramatically over a year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

cadete wrote: »
    Really are the sets that poor? from what i have been reading they seem to be the top 3 sets available? have you any alternitives?

They're top 3 as they're for "Hardcore Gamers" but the durability is rather poor and they've all got the same weak point in the joints.

I think Astro are overpriced but I'd go with the new A40s over the A50s, it uses a 4 pole 3.5mm jack (useful for the Vita and PS4) that can then be split if your PC requires it or into the mixamp which is needed for consoles.

I'd also look at Creative, they've one console compatible headset and their Recon 3D external sound card is better than astros which is not surprising.

You may want to wait a bit as Asus who are also a big Sound Card maker are releasing a console version of their Orion headsets which are great; it's mostly a new amp/sound card similar to the creative one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I've had a pair of the Astros for over 4 years now. I have to say I think they sound very good and they are very comfortable. I can wear them for hours with no discomfort at all. I use them for PC but as mentioned, I'm fairly sure you do need that mixamp for console gaming.

Just one thing though: they aren't "surround sound" headphones like many other expensive ones. The mixamp has a Dolby button that is supposed to simulate a surround sound feel and it's fine but it's not surround sound.

my current set are good(tb earforce kilo) and i do really like them i found them to be quite a bit better than the previous turtle beach set i had so i expected to see the same difference again if i was to move up to the expensive ones. Im at work at the minute and been on a boat for 6 weeks so wanted to treat myself when i got home :) but dont wanna spend 250 only to find out i got the wrong set

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

danthefan wrote: »

Me too it is really good the Bass impact really shakes your ears when your shooting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've heard great things about the Skullcandy SLYR headset.
    €80 direct from the manufacturer (or you can get them in Argos)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I got these: http://www.amazon.com/Sharkoon-X-Tatic-Surround-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B003H4QIC0
    They're 5.1 and I generally play free for all on COD and you can genuinely hear what direction people are coming from.
    Cost me about €120 about 3-4 years ago, probably a newer version out now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

yVCV7u8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PHUNDAPUSS

i have had several headsets, but i must admit the best pair I have ever owned, and still use, are the turtle beach px5, sound quality is perfect. easy to connect to ps3 and xbox, and anything that has bluetooth. only problem is the reciever has to be in clear view (if that makes sense) try not to have anything in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

danthefan wrote: »

The sound quality out of these is great but the production of them is atrocious. Both of my ear cups are held on with duct tape because they snapped off from the headband just from putting them on and taking them off my head. Really bad idea to have a flimsy piece of plastic holding them together.

Advertisement