Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Ipad from USA

Options
  • 04-09-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I hope I am posting in the right section.

A friend of mine is going to New York in 2 weeks time, as far as I know he has no plans on buying any electronic goods, if I ask him to get me an Ipad mini will he have any issues in the airport, any taxes to be paid? Will I be able to use the Ipad here with no issues? How does it work for warranty then?

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Ipad mini New York = $329
    Sales tax @8.875% = $29.20
    convert @1.312 = €273.06
    so about a €56 euro savings (minus what ever you give your friend...)
    The power adaptor will be the wrong type, but you can buy one for €25, or use the usb cable for charging.
    You are supposed to declare to customs, so you'll end up paying 2 sets of taxes or risk getting caught.
    Alternatively you could get a refurb model (with 1 yr warranty) for €289
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_mini/wi_fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If your friend buys it on amazon in the us he might be able to avoid the NYC sales tax. So automatically you save about 9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

peace2804 wrote: »
    I hope I am posting in the right section.

A friend of mine is going to New York in 2 weeks time, as far as I know he has no plans on buying any electronic goods, if I ask him to get me an Ipad mini will he have any issues in the airport, any taxes to be paid? Will I be able to use the Ipad here with no issues? How does it work for warranty then?

Cheers folks.

Legally you have to pay 23% tax on it bringing it here, whether they stop you is a different story. You should be able to use the iPad fine as long as it is not the model that uses a sim card. You would have no legal rights in Ireland if anything goes wrong, Apple may or may not choose to honour the warranty in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

hfallada wrote: »
    If your friend buys it on amazon in the us he might be able to avoid the NYC sales tax. So automatically you save about 9%.

How is he supposed to buy on amazon while on holiday? And say he did get it delivered to the hotel Amazon will charge the relevant sales tax for the state it is in, if it is delivered in New York he will pay New York tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ipad mini is €305 at Dublin Airport. Plenty of saving there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement