Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M31 - M51 progress...

Options
  • 04-09-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Far from perfect but here are 2 from last night, unguided on Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian, Canon 1100D, Coma corrector + LPF

M31 - Andromeda Galaxy

9672183241_89de903e47_c.jpg
    11X Lights (120s ISO 1600)
    8X Bias
    5X Darks
    5X Flats

M51 - Whirlpool Galaxy

9675640020_f549573067_c.jpg
    9X Lights (180s ISO 800)
    8X Bias
    5X Darks
    5X Flats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Nice one.

Super detail in the dust lanes in M31

I always struggle with M51 for some reason. But that pic is super.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

MY challenge for this winter !! :) , i'll be going unguided too so at least i have some hope of getting a similar shot to yours! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Iancar29 wrote: »
    MY challenge for this winter !! :) , i'll be going unguided too so at least i have some hope of getting a similar shot to yours! :)

Was amazed to be able to do 3minutes with very little trailing, changed from M51 (West) to M31 (North East) and alignment was still good, not good enough for 3 minutes hence why I took M31 at 120sec exposure. Im pretty pleased with this considering light pollution (I use a filter however to reduce) was present, next will be to do this in dark location.

Kersh wrote: »
    Nice one.

Super detail in the dust lanes in M31

I always struggle with M51 for some reason. But that pic is super.

Thanks! M51 is lacking a lot of details, Im blaming light pollution rather than processing as I tried at least 5 different ways and could not get more out of my data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nice work Zeroy. Need to motivate myself to get back out there again when the skies clear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Great stuff. I am trying to image the cocoon nebula at the moment but it seems to have disappeared :P My autoguider has died. Humbug! Those things are awful pricey.

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Those things are awful pricey.

Old school here with cheapo ST80 + SPC900NC webcam for the guiding setup!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

I have the ST80. Good buy on the SPC900. Those things are like golddust these days. Phillips must be the only company in the world that doesn't want money.

Advertisement