Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seriously

Options
  • 04-09-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I got insured with liberty insurance last year, €470 for third party fire and theft. That was ok, but i just got my renewal today and my quote was €651.57, minus my no claims and its €547.33 now. When i rang and asked why it was so expensive he said.... oh now the price of womens insurance went up so the insurance went up for everyone, i told him i'm a male and that the price of womens insurance went up cos it was sexest to men. So if they put it up for everyone, women still get cheaper insurance. Then he said..... oh the price of car insurance went up in general, so i said what percent did it go up, cos its €180 more i got to pay, thats over 30%. Even the gas and esb dont go up that much and their gangsters. And i got my no claims 20% discount and its still more expensive. These guys/gals are mad. Who hikes up there insurance that much. I'm 37 too, not a boy racer. No points on my licence, this is a RIP OFF......... i hope theres a rep on here to try and talk there way out of this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Ruth

Hello Irishbob,

We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the renewal premium quoted. Any quotation we offer is based on a number of risk factors entered at the time of your renewal, including the car details, driver details, driving experience, address, driving convictions/claims etc. The rates in some of these areas may have changed from last year.

Whilst we cannot discuss individual quotes or policies here, if you PM me your details I will be happy to look at your quote and make sure you get the best price we can offer.

Ruth

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Irishbob

Hello Irishbob,

We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the renewal premium quoted. Any quotation we offer is based on a number of risk factors entered at the time of your renewal, including the car details, driver details, driving experience, address, driving convictions/claims etc. The rates in some of these areas may have changed from last year.

Whilst we cannot discuss individual quotes or policies here, if you PM me your details I will be happy to look at your quote and make sure you get the best price we can offer.

Ruth

Thanks Ruth.

Just in case ye changed my details, i have the same address for the last 8 years, same car as last year, live in a very small village, at the end of a quiet cul de sac, i provided 2 years as a named driver under my partners policy last year, and have another 7 years under her name but i just cudnt be bothered trying to back track it, i was happy enough with last years quote (i'm sure ye cud check that easily if i gave ye her driving licence number), i had 2 years no claims bonus on a motorbike too with ye last year, which i'll be looking for a quote again next month. No penality points.

Honestly ruth, i probably have double the driving experence than you and i bet u dont pay that much. I can understand a price rise, but with my discount i'd kinda expect it to stay the same as last year, thats still a 20% rise. Again if i moved house or changed cars or had a tip i'd understand..

Thanks for replying, but at the moment i'm a unhappy chappy. I'll pm u on my policy number, if u need anything else get in touch.

Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Downtown1

Irishbob wrote: »
    Hello Irishbob,

Whilst we cannot discuss individual quotes or policies here, if you PM me your details I will be happy to look at your quote and make sure you get the best price we can offer.

Ruth

Thanks Ruth.

Just in case ye changed my details, i have the same address for the last 8 years, same car as last year, live in a very small village, at the end of a quiet cul de sac, i provided 2 years as a named driver under my partners policy last year, and have another 7 years under her name but i just cudnt be bothered trying to back track it, i was happy enough with last years quote (i'm sure ye cud check that easily if i gave ye her driving licence number), i had 2 years no claims bonus on a motorbike too with ye last year, which i'll be looking for a quote again next month. No penality points.

Honestly ruth, i probably have double the driving experence than you and i bet u dont pay that much. I can understand a price rise, but with my discount i'd kinda expect it to stay the same as last year, thats still a 20% rise. Again if i moved house or changed cars or had a tip i'd understand..

Thanks for replying, but at the moment i'm a unhappy chappy. I'll pm u on my policy number, if u need anything else get in touch.
    Rob.

Hi Rob, I hope you got sorted as I just had the same occurance except mine went from €640 last year and amazingly on Thurday my renewal came to €958........... now as you can imagine a 50% increase is somewhat astoundinG. I was actually advised that it was due INFLATION...... well now that is some.... Just like yourself I am driving the same car and have no points and drive less that 10,000 km a year. Also my girlfiends insurance arrived and she is insured with 123.ie and hers had gone down.......

I am beyond shocked and discusted and <snip>. I am actually 38 years old and also a male and have 8 years no claims bonus.......

<snip>

Are we covering the cost of the female drivers that didn't renew this year?????? If so I would say that that is more discrimination .

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Hi Dowtown1

If you want to PM me your details and I will arrange for someone to look into this for you.

Regards

Seán

Downtown1 wrote: »
    Hi Rob, I hope you got sorted as I just had the same occurance except mine went from €640 last year and amazingly on Thurday my renewal came to €958........... now as you can imagine a 50% increase is somewhat astoundinG. I was actually advised that it was due INFLATION...... well now that is some.... Just like yourself I am driving the same car and have no points and drive less that 10,000 km a year. Also my girlfiends insurance arrived and she is insured with 123.ie and hers had gone down.......

I am beyond shocked and discusted and <snip>. I am actually 38 years old and also a male and have 8 years no claims bonus.......

<snip>

Are we covering the cost of the female drivers that didn't renew this year?????? If so I would say that that is more discrimination .

So i'm not the only one, phew!! Yeah this is crazy, how the hell do they come up with these figures. I thought my quote was bad, but urs is just laughable..... I'm still waiting for Ruth to get back to me, she must be puzzled by this too seeming shes working on it for the last few days......

• Advertisement

I am beyond shocked and discusted and wondering if there is a scam of somekind going on. I am actually 38 years old and also a male and have 8 years no claims bonus.......

Ruth , I think you have a glitch in the system or you are seriously having a laugh here.

So i'm not the only one, phew!! Yeah this is crazy, how the hell do they come up with these figures. I thought my quote was bad, but urs is just laughable..... I'm still waiting for Ruth to get back to me, she must be puzzled by this too seeming shes working on it for the last few days......
    H Bob,

I am disabled so I am hoping that is not the reason for the 50% increased quote as that would also constitute discrimmination

H Bob,

I am disabled so I am hoping that is not the reason for the 50% increased quote as that would also constitute discrimmination

Once a doctor see's you fit to drive, ur the same as any other driver, let me know if John the rep helps u, cos i'm still waiting on a reply from Ruth..........

Cheers Downtown1

Hello Irishbob,

Ruth

My dearest Ruth,

As you can tell by my nice opening, I'm a happy chappy again, thank you for looking at my policy. I still don't know how ye came up with my first quote but at least its sorted now. I will go ahead with that quote..... I'll contact ye over the next week.

I just hope other people get a quote that's reasonable too.

Again cheers.
    I owe u a drink.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Seriously lads EVERY insurer trys this crap at renewel time, just ring up and say you got a quote from someone else for € (insert whatever amount you think is fair) and I guarantee you they will match it.

Dont get yer pants in a twist about it, it's just part of the fun game that is renewing insurance

bassey wrote: »
    Seriously lads EVERY insurer trys this crap at renewel time, just ring up and say you got a quote from someone else for € (insert whatever amount you think is fair) and I guarantee you they will match it.

Dont get yer pants in a twist about it, it's just part of the fun game that is renewing insurance

True I suppose, but the temper got the better of me... I had to moan..... And didn't want the hassle of changing, I was going to wait till Saturday and if no reply from liberty look around and change companies...

and here was me thinking my comment about bring back the Quinns did it, cos I didn't mind a Irish guy robbing me, we are used to that... Lol

• Advertisement

I am beyond shocked and discusted and wondering if there is a scam of somekind going on. I am actually 38 years old and also a male and have 8 years no claims bonus.......

Ruth , I think you have a glitch in the system or you are seriously having a laugh here.

Supposed to get a call back but nothing...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I got my renewal last week, saved €16 on last year. I'm 6 years driving, young male granted but have no penalty point, no claims, no accidents or convictions... I got a call back from their office to see was I going ahead with my policy and I told the uninterested girl that I doubted so as FBD quoted me 162€ cheaper. She changed my occupation from student to sales office bound not on the road and she whacked me with an extra €60 charge. <snip> I wasn't going to move from ye at all as I was happy with yer insurance every year till now. She had an uninterested tone and an unwillingness to help. Good luck to anyone insuring with them now

Hi AGAIN all,

Another year, and another <snip> from LIBERTY INSURANCE.

Insurance year 1 = €470
    Insurance Year 2 = €651.57 / changed to €469.13 (no discount for no claims, oh wait, .87cent)
    Wait for it.....
    Insurance Year 3 = €668.12 with a 47% No Claims Discount.

HONESTLY

I'm another year older :mad:
    Haven't moved.
    Haven't crashed.
    Haven't Claimed!!!!!!
    No Points EVER

Inflaton bad again this year?
    ABOVE 30% increase, with a non-existent no claims discount!

I know Ruth i never actually got you that drink last time, but this is no way to respond.

Hi Irishbob

If you want to PM me your details I will arrange for our Renewals department to look into this and contact you.

Regards

Seán

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My mams insurance went up massively with liberty when she got her quote in July (about doubled I think)

Have been awaiting mine with interest. Came today. Haha...they're having a laugh!! Pretty sure its about double last years. Same car etc etc etc 

My mams insurance went up massively with liberty when she got her quote in July (about doubled I think)

Have been awaiting mine with interest. Came today. Haha...they're having a laugh!! Pretty sure its about double last years. Same car etc etc etc 

That is ridiculous. Does anyone's insurance actually go down each year with liberty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Simple solution....move insurance company.  I've had a number of insurance companies try this crap in the past.  My response was 'goodbye'.  There must be enough eejits renewing at the higher price or they would have learned by now.

Hi AGAIN all,

Another year, and another attempted rip off from LIBERTY INSURANCE.

Insurance year 1 = €470
    Insurance Year 2 = €651.57 / changed to €469.13 (no discount for no claims, oh wait, .87cent)
    Wait for it.....

HONESTLY

Haven't moved.
    Haven't crashed.
    Haven't Claimed!!!!!!
    No Points EVER

I know Ruth i never actually got you that drink last time, but this is no way to respond.
    ha ha this is a joke,

I was with quinn direct for years and the most it ever went up was 10% but I always negotiated it back down close to the princepal figure.
    This year Liberty put my insurance up by over 35% also. Absolutely nothing had changed on mine or their end for that matter.
    Same car, value, home address both my wife and I have zero points with full clean licence and I'm 40 yrs old. I got the same bull from Liberty also.
    Even the staff I dealt with were rude. I was at work when they called me back and they gave their best for the figure. I asked the lady to express the difference as a percentage increase for ease of comparison, she said "I don't do percentages!! that's the figure sir"!!! it got heated and I told her not to bother calling me again.

<snip>

<snip> because this now seems to be an emerging trend here and it's going to damage them, I'm glad.
    Think of it, the massive overcharge will pay my property tax and I'll have change in my pocket!!

Hi Irishbob

If you want to PM me your details I will arrange for our Renewals department to look into this and contact you.

Regards

Seán
    Hi Sean,

I had guys like yourself look into mine at length and the best you could do was a couple of %!!! anyone who renews here with this shower have themselves to blame. I changed right away. All you need is third party fire and theft, maybe windscreen cover. don't mind that Oh we put you in a hotel crap etc etc.
    Like I said, if you allow them <snip>, you've yourself to blame!! there's company's chomping at the bit for your business and you'll benefit from it. good look liberty. If you've a thread devoted to you high premiums, you're in trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Ive moved on from them this year. Too big an increase aswell.

• Advertisement

Hi RacoonQueen

If you can PM me your details I will arrange for our Renewals department to look into this and contact you.

Regards

Seán

rusty cole wrote: »
    Hi Irishbob

Regards

Seán
    Hi Sean,

I had guys like yourself look into mine at length and the best you could do was a couple of %!!! anyone who renews here with this shower have themselves to blame. I changed right away. All you need is third party fire and theft, maybe windscreen cover. don't mind that Oh we put you in a hotel crap etc etc.
    Like I said, if you allow them <snip>, you've yourself to blame!! there's company's chomping at the bit for your business and you'll benefit from it. good look liberty. If you've a thread devoted to you high premiums, you're in trouble!

[font=Verdana", "sans-serif][font=Times New Roman", "serif]Hi Rusty Cole

Very sorry to hear about your experience. We'd like to discuss this with you if you could PM me a contact number and a suitable time to call you back?

Regards

Seán
    [/font]

[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

madalig12 wrote: »
    Ive moved on from them this year. Too big an increase aswell.
    Same here. My "Base Premium" went from just over 300 to just over 1000 with no change in circumstances. I got a quote from another company which was less than last year's from Liberty. Happy days. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hi AGAIN all,

Another year, and another <snip> LIBERTY INSURANCE.

Insurance year 1 = €470
    Wait for it.....

HONESTLY

Haven't moved.
    Haven't crashed.
    Haven't Claimed!!!!!!
    No Points EVER

Bob are you tied to liberty? Go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Vote with you're feet people. Don't be paying these extortionate premiums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

You think that's bad?

My premium last year was €600. This year's renewal was ~€1,150.

No claims or anything in the year.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Right folks, I am re-opening this thread now. No more comments directed at reps (other than in direct relation to an issue) or mentions of scams, rip offs or similar. They are not allowed any where else on the site and they aren't allowed here. 

Thank you.

You think that's bad?

My premium last year was €600. This year's renewal was ~€1,150.

No claims or anything in the year.

Hi NewApproach

Can you PM me your policy details I will arrange for our Renewals department to look into this for you.

Regards

Seán

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Bob are you tied to liberty? Go elsewhere.

My year is up so, hell yeah. I'll be ringing around.

You'd think liberty would want to keep its customers, especially the ones who drive carefully, and don't speed.

I'm 38, imagine what a poor 18 year old is paying.

Advertisement