Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Sick Pay

Options
  • 04-09-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Okay, quick question, don't know if I'm in the right section Mods.

Partner has just been sent home from work sick, he has a flawless record -ie has never been sick in the entire time that he's worked there, and seeing as we were a bit cash strapped he went in to work (I told him not to) but he went ahead, anyway long story short, pretty quickly after he clocked in he was told to go home as he was too ill.

What I want to know is does he get paid for the day or any portion of it, seeing as he had clocked in? I know Tesco have pretty strict rules on their sick leave and neither he, nor I, are very clear on them. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I don't know what Tesco's sick pay policy is, but in general if a company doesn't pay during sick leave then he will only get paid for the actual time he was working. As soon as he left work he stops getting paid if that's the policy. If the policy is paid sick leave then he'll get paid (but I doubt Tesco pay for sick leave).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If they don't offer paid sick leave, then he may be able to choose to use annual leave to cover the first three days (until illness benefit kicks in).

They cannot force him to do this, but most companies allow it if the employee requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Yes he can be sent home if in the opinion of the manager that he was unfit for work. He may loose a days pay for this and won't be paid for the first three days until sick pay kicks in If this is the case the manager will have to strongly justify their decision.

I suggest doing this when he can.

Write down the facts of the case and details as they occurred
    Look at the terms and conditions
    Have a casual word with their shop steward ( even if you are not a member) they can give a view of the situation.

Advertisement