Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nana never rang him, 1st day in secondary school :-(

Options
  • 04-09-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi :-)

My 'sun' started his first day in secondary school last week, very exciting times for him, but also very nerve wrecking as he is special needs.

Thing is, his nana, never rang him/texted him to see how he got on. This has naturally upset him :-(, which kind of upset me too!

All of my own family (my side) made contact with him, the night before, or on the day. She knew it was a big deal for him. He has asked me about it, and I told him to text her. He won't. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Without wishing to sound dismissive, move on and forget it. It's just not that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

After 6+ years of "first days of school", she may just not realise how big a transition secondary school is. Do you have reason to believe it's anything other than forgetfullness/ not realising it was such a big deal on nana's part? If not, I would call her discreetly and ask her to call him (and not mention you said anything).

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Maybe she forgot. Maybe her phone isn't working. Life's too short waiting for people to call.

I had called my mother the other day several times and couldn't get through to her. Eventually I popped down, turned out her phone had fallen in the sink. I had my suspicions and brought down an old phone for her to use. She said she'd never felt so alone til she realised she couldn't call anyone! Doesn't know the neighbours well, closest phone box vandalized...

Anyway, give her a call yourself on the sly and see if she'd remembered, and let her know that your son would appreciate a call.

Another special needs parent. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Maybe she would rather wait to see him to get a more personal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring her and ask her to get in touch with him? Better late than never.
    Be nice about it, she may have a good reason for not getting in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I would have thought that teens wouldn't want a fuss made over it. Perhaps his 'nana' felt the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd say ring her and ask her to text/ring him.
    A lot of people don't get special treatment on their first day of secondary school. The woman might have forgot.She might have had other things on her mind. In my opinion you should explain to your son that sometimes people forget things by mistake and they don't mean to forget them. You need to explain to him that sometimes people that you love let you down by mistake and they don't mean to. It is very unhealthy for him to be holding a grudge about a trivial issue like this.

Advertisement