Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midfield All stars in Football

Options
  • 04-09-2013 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Who do people think should get the All star at midfield beside Aidan O’Shea. Should it be Cavanagh or MacAuley?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Aidan O'Shea is a shoe-in and McAuley will depend on how he plays in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

They might fit Cavanagh into the half forward line. Or maybe full back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

If SOS has a good final and they win he could well join his bro

Then again at least 5 Mayo backs will get one if they win (should be all 6 probably as it stands), so in any contentious position they might be reluctant give it to another Mayo guy.

They might put Sean Cav half forward as suggested. Some of these always raise eyebrows

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Seamus O'Shea will get one along side Aidan if he has a good final.

Also think If Hennelly plays well he will get one in goal as Cluxton hadnt a great game against Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Cavanagh and O'Shea in MF

I dont agree with giving a MF player a half forward spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Cavanagh should get it, he had a much greater effect on Tyrones performance than MaCauley or S O'Shea for their respective teams, as well as better performances overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Seamus O'Shea will get one along side Aidan if he has a good final.

Also think If Hennelly plays well he will get one in goal as Cluxton hadnt a great game against Kerry.

Hennelly is 15/2, S O'S is 11/2 so if you fancy that you can make a lot of money if you're right.....Doubt you are though on either count.

Would agree with most posters that Cavanagh deserves one above MDMA but according to the betting MDMA is 1/3 while Cavanagh is 5/4. Seems very harsh on Cavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Looking back at all of Mayos games i think apart from the Donegal game Seamus O'Shea was better than Aidan however Seamus will never be talked up as much and will likely miss out All-Star while his brother will get one.

Think Aidan O'shea learnt from the Connacht final that shooting is not his forte and is now using the ball more smartly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Think MDMA deserves an All Star and should be a shoe in depending on his impact in the final.

Cavanagh should get it, he had a much greater effect on Tyrones performance than MaCauley or S O'Shea for their respective teams, as well as better performances overall.

He has had a greater effect I agree but don't underestimate just how much of an influence Seamus has been for Mayo this year. Remember he only started against Galway because Barry Moran had an injury and Colm Boyle aside he was the best player for me that day.

He's been brilliant in every game and I agree with Always_Running he has actually been better than Aidan throughout the Championship overall IMO.

That Donegal performance alone, however, will guarantee Aidan POTY never mind an All Star.

While you'd feel the winner of the final might get the second spot (Seamus or MDMA) they'll always try and accommodate a player from losing semi-finallists. Cavanagh has been outstanding this year to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'd say it'll be Cavanagh. As has been said, the losing semi-finalists usually get at least one all-star, and I'm struggling to see any other Tyrone players that merit inclusion. Cavanagh was absolutely outstanding in Tyrone's run to the semi-final, and I'm almost certain they wouldn't have got past Meath or Monaghan without him, such was his influence.

Unless MDMA has a MOTM performance in the final and leads Dublin to a win, I think Cavanagh will take it. Could all happen mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Hennelly is 15/2, S O'S is 11/2 so if you fancy that you can make a lot of money if you're right.....Doubt you are though on either count.

Can't acess from work could someone please post up the prices for the GK spot please, cos I agree with the previous poster who said Cluxton had a very poor semi and was solid more than spectacular the rest of the year tbf.

1/7 cluxton
    4/1 Beggan
    15/2 Hennelly
    20/ Mcconnell

Cluxton was pretty spectacular vs Cork, he kicked 6 points was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Dots1982 wrote: »
    1/7 cluxton
    4/1 Beggan
    15/2 Hennelly
    20/ Mcconnell

Cluxton was pretty spectacular vs Cork, he kicked 6 points was it?

Cheers, I actually only got bits of the Cork game tbh as was at a family wedding that day!

Cluxtons profile will probably say it for him anyway but 1/7 is nuts,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

MDMA and Aidan O'shea id guess. Cluxton is a shoe in regardless of the final result.

When was the last time a team had all 6 Representatives in the half/full back lines or has there been?
    Cant see 5 Mayo backs in the All Star team to be honest. Maybe 4 depending on the final result.

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    MDMA and Aidan O'shea id guess. Cluxton is a shoe in regardless of the final result.

When was the last time a team had all 6 Representatives in the half/full back lines or has there been?
    Cant see 5 Mayo backs in the All Star team to be honest. Maybe 4 depending on the final result.

Who do you leave out?

Cunniffe, cafferkey, Higgins, keegan are shoe ins. Vaughan has been the best centre back no questions asked and Boyle would be my POY.

It's not as simple as saying only 4 will get it. I do think mccaffreywill get one over Boyle- which as it stands is wrong

If he has a good final fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fizzyboy

Jack mcCaffrey has to be in..he was sensational against Cork.

I would have to include Cavanagh in the half-forwards if needs be.

fizzyboy wrote: »
    Jack mcCaffrey has to be in..he was sensational against Cork.

I would have to include Cavanagh in the half-forwards if needs be.

Boyle had been "sensational" every match

He's been mayos most consistent performer. Even against London he was terrific when everyone else seemed in second gear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Gerry91 wrote: »
    If SOS has a good final and they win he could well join his bro

Then again at least 5 Mayo backs will get one if they win (should be all 6 probably as it stands), so in any contentious position they might be reluctant give it to another Mayo guy.

They might put Sean Cav half forward as suggested. Some of these always raise eyebrows

McCaffrey with any half decent performance is a shoe in and likely Young Player of The Year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'd include Boyle ahead of Keegan tbh. Keegan has been good, but McCaffrey and Boyle have been better imho.

For midfield it will be O'Shea and MDMA unless Seamus cleans MDMA out of it in the final, even at that I can't see it being anyone else.

AGC wrote: »
    McCaffrey with any half decent performance is a shoe in and likely Young Player of The Year

Over which of keegan and Boyle?

If cillian plays in final he should have ypoty sewn up, two back to back hat-tricks in Connacht final and AI quarter

Over which of keegan and Boyle?

If cillian plays in final he should have ypoty sewn up, two back to back hat-tricks in Connacht final and AI quarter

He isn't even in the top 3 of most people at the minute which I do find strange.

My HB line would be McCaffrey, Vaughan and Keegan.

Could also see someone like Mark O'Se nipping a position in the FB line

Who do you leave out?

Cunniffe, cafferkey, Higgins, keegan are shoe ins. Vaughan has been the best centre back no questions asked and Boyle would be my POY.

It's not as simple as saying only 4 will get it. I do think mccaffreywill get one over Boyle- which as it stands is wrong

If he has a good final fair enough

Cafferky and higgins are shoe ins IMO, Cunniffe might miss out.

O'Shea by some distance is POTY and you can't say McCaffrey isn't deserving, he has been superb.

It shows Mayo's strenght that they could have 5 backs in the team and maybe only 1 forward depending if O'Connor makes it

AGC wrote: »
    Cafferky and higgins are shoe ins IMO, Cunniffe might miss out.

O'Shea by some distance is POTY and you can't say McCaffrey isn't deserving, he has been superb.

Oh I agree McCaffrey has had a few great games

The point I'm making is there are two guys more deserving IMO. Nothing against McCaffrey but Boyle and Keegan have been outstanding for me, well Lee more recently has really stepped up I thought he was average enough v Ros and London

Ya COC is odds on for All Star yet not in YPOTY betting! As I say if he plays final and contributes at all he should get YPOTY though I wouldn't begrudge McCaffrey. I don't give a toss who gets it anyway as long as Mayo get main award :p

Mannion could get it I guess if he has a huge final, likewise KK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Higgins hasn't played much in the back line is year, so won't win an All Star as a back.

Barrett who kicked two crucial scores v Tyrone hasn't been mentioned so far.

Also I'd think that SOS could get one in midfield for Mayo, been good in every game, a very key player for Mayo

Higgins hasn't played much in the back line is year, so won't win an All Star as a back.

Barrett who kicked two crucial scores v Tyrone hasn't been mentioned so far.

Also I'd think that SOS could get one in midfield for Mayo, been good in every game, a very key player for Mayo

Higgins has played more in the backs than forwards overall.

he'll get no. 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

aodan o se & mdma for me

Advertisement