Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dollars, does it really matter where I get them

Options
  • 04-09-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

I have to get a few thousand dollars cash in the next couple of weeks, Is there really much of a difference between the major banks & An Post as regards their rates & commission,

There is a bank pretty much next door to where I work (AIB) so it's handy, at the end of the day will I be only saving cents shopping around & have the inconvienence of having to drive into town, parking etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What research have you done :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

snubbleste wrote: »
    What research have you done :confused:

None, thought I would ask here in case there were some who would know the answer so I could avoid doing the research.
    Spending an hour going to say tsb to save a fiver over popping next door to aib wouldnt be worth it so was just wondering if generally speaking there was much of a difference,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

For the most part the difference isn't all that great. An Post offer "commission free", but the rate doesn't match the bank (that's how they make their money). So unless you're changing a major amount, it doesn't work a big deal.

Kinda suspected that but wasn't 100%, thanks for confirming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Kinda suspected that but wasn't 100%, thanks for confirming

Go into Dunnes. No commission. They wont do large amounts, but if you go in a few times over the course of a few days, you could safe money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I was just about to ask the same question here. I checked the credit union and AnPost. Changing over €1000 today....CU offer circa $1255 and AnPost offering $1277. In all, I will be changing 2.5k for a week long trip to vegas & NY. In my mind, the PO rate has just paid for my taxi from JFK to Manhattan, so that is where I go.

If every 1k euro at the PO saves you $25....it may be worth the hassle.

According to their websites,

AIB Dollar rate is 1.2988 Assume that doesn't include commission, don't know what % they add on

An Post rate is 1.2774 so only 0.0213(ish) difference

That credit union was taking the mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

According to their websites,

AIB Dollar rate is 1.2988 Assume that doesn't include commission, don't know what % they add on

An Post rate is 1.2774 so only 0.0213(ish) difference

That credit union was taking the mick

AIB commission is 1% with a max of €6.35
    so going with AIB would give you an extra $13 for your €1000
    only benefit of the post office is you're more likely to get it on the day, with AIB you tend to have to give a few days notice.

Advertisement