Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time IT Job?

Options
  • 04-09-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone has advice on what aspect of IT I could do in order to secure a part-time job. I'm currently an IT manager on maternity leave, and my organisation will only allow me go back full-time, which is not something I really want to do. Ideally I'm looking for work that I could do around the kids, i.e. term-time or mornings.What i'm not sure, is what type of IT position allows this?

If I can figure out a position, then I reckon I could try and do certification in that area, to have the pieces of paper. I use to do programming and loved it, but it was C, and I haven't programmed in a few years, so not sure what language would be worth my while learning that I might be able to get a part-time job in it? My current role involves management on a of a network/servers/client workstations, etc. both forward planning and fire-shooting.

Any suggestions on what best certs or languages to do, that might enable me to change roles to a part-time one.

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I dont know , I cant fit what I need to do into 8 hours 5 days a week, never mind part time !!!

Seriously though , occasionally Amazon or Apple look for at home support staff.
    Money's not great though , so be forewarned

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There really aren't any part-time jobs once you go above first line support. I suspect you don't want to have to go / return to that level!

If the public service was hiring, there would be the possibility of job sharing but that basically does not exist in private sector IT - and that'd be usually 2 full and a half day or 9-1 / 1-5 - neither of which would let you escape childcare costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

myob - yeah, I was wondering if I'd get technical support part-time, as I know any management or project management type job probably doesn't lend itself to part-time (just not enough hours in the day.) I think i'd be bored out my tree if I was first line of tech support.

horgan_p - same in my job, not enough hours - hence the not been allowed do less hours (although in all honestly, I worked a 5 day week in 4 days, so it is possible, but not available for meetings 5 days a week wasn't looked on favourably!) I'm not worried about working from home, but ideally would like to finish by 2pm latest where-ever I am.

Are there any programming jobs that could lend to part-time hours or shift-work? I have a feeling that in order to go part-time I might be doing a complete career change.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quite a bit of contract programming work would allow it - but there's no guaranteed income there.

MYOB wrote: »
    Quite a bit of contract programming work would allow it - but there's no guaranteed income there.

What languages? Would u get work if you just
    Learnt a language without having practical use of it? (Would have to figure how to write programs in my current job)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

dont take this the wrong way , but do you already program ?

From what I understand (I'm not a programmer) , it isnt something you pick up over the long weekend. And employers will want to see examples of your work
    from friends who are programmers though , Java is apparently the new rock and roll.

horgan_p wrote: »
    dont take this the wrong way , but do you already program ?

From what I understand (I'm not a programmer) , it isnt something you pick up over the long weekend. And employers will want to see examples of your work
    from friends who are programmers though , Java is apparently the new rock and roll.

I was a programmer in c and basic java, sql. I loved programming but my career path took me into managing and Ive ended up doing hardware with very little software programming for the last 10 years, but I know I can program and have the mind for it. I could possibly head towards training? (But dont have an ma or phd so not sure if that's a runner)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

This could be quite difficult for you. A part-time option is usually something that you work out with your current employer. Contract work usually requires you to be up to speed now.

Not really advice, but if a potential employer were to ask you about your reasons /motivation for going down the programming route, how would you answer it? Something to consider, as they will probably question why you want to re-visit it after 10 years.

Advertisement