Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenario #2

Options
  • 03-09-2013 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

so these are my favourite threads here so ill try and post a few more as well if ye want me to and i can think of good ones
    now the scenario:
    you are on holiday with your family (your wife and child) in France and on a trip to the effel tower. at the top one of the people up there faints. several people rush to their side and try to help, from where you are you notice bite marks on his arm. when the person reanimates he bits the closest person before being pulled off and bitting another. you reach the ground and see several more infected walking around and infecting others, you have tourist guide map and a bottle of water between you and rental car at a nearby hotel
    what do you do?
    personally i would try to get to on a ferry/plane back to ireland before they lock the borders, failing that im not sure what i would do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

depends how immediate are we talking here? scenarios such as this need responses detailing
    a) immediate plan
    b) short term plan
    c) long term goal

also need a gestation period: everyone's opinion on zombies is different, depending on sources.
    it looks like people reanimate in the hour, otherwise they would never have made it up the tower [queues are about an hour long, no way they'd let them in the lift if they were showing signs].

i'll stick with the immediate & short [1 week] survival plan

so, on hitting ground floor. get out of the plaza! make my way towards wherever looks quieter, whatever direction that might be! if a glass bottle, impromptu weapon. get back to the hotel area using side streets in the most direct way possible, avoiding contact with others. get to the room and pack up, if the hotel isn't overrun. get rental car, start heading out of city in whatever way possible.

i) get rural:
    manage to get out of city, start driving on b-class roads towards Brittany [ferries, more rural anyway, away from european mainland] Brittany is also home of the french navy, lots of secure sites there. would keep up to date on news via radio, refuel wherever possible. the overall aim is to reach brittany, not to get on a ferry. if ferries are still running, great. otherwise, find a military base [there's loads] and explain yourself best you can. stay in a small village hotel or with a farmer would be ideal.

ii) get rescued:
    if you dont make it out [too much traffic / police cordon] i would head to any heavy industrial district and see if there's a small cafe/diner/pertrol station in it, hold up there. chances are the people at work have been there all day and are uninfected, or have run home to their loved ones. industrial zones near the city are not densely populated and will have access to vehicles, machinery etc. large industrial rooftops could be used as makeshift LZ should evac by helicopter be necessary. the cafe [usually stocked to feed a day's worth of hungry workers] would serve for supplies and potable water.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think time is against anyone who wants to drive out of Paris. If they are changing as quickly as the original post suggests, then a city with a population like Paris would be very rapidly descending into utter chaos.

Even the time needed to get from the top of the tower to the bottom would have allowed for many more Zeds to have come into being at ground level.

With a population of about 12 to 14 million in the city and it's surropunding suburbs, that leaves the potential for there being millions of zeds if the turning time is an hour or less. The congestion on the roads would be nuts and the chances of simply driving out would be slim.

Would not try to get back to Ireland either. My first instinct would be to get out of the city and to try to follow the path of least resistance. The easiest way out imho if there was a rapidly spreading outbreak taking place would be to use the rail line which runs close to the tower itself. Would imagine that rail services would be shut down early on in the case of such a massive outbreak, and as such the lines would most likely be easier to travel on than the streets of Paris. Would still be the matter of the many stations to get past, but if we are talking traditional shufflers then a bit of common sense and timing should see me get out of the city limits or at least to a quieter area within five or six hours.

Once out of the city limits, then I would be heading for rural areas and also trying to get myself heading east to north east so that I am on more familar ground for me. Would be very confident of surviving in the medium to long term if I could reach Germany and if so then where I used to live would be my target as it is a low population area with a mountainous backdrop. Would give me the advantage of an area I know well, and language would not be an issue ( just as it would not be in France)

If we were talking a much longer gestation time, say a week or so, then the idea of using a car would come into play for me and I would be exiting Paris asap but would be heading west in the hope of being able to get transport across to the UK and preferably transport that would see me land in the North East of the UK rather than down south. Again the reason would be that it would allow me to get to areas where I would know landmarks and also to where I would know exactly where the heavily populated areas are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I'd also not attempt to get back to Ireland. Much more fun being in Europe mainland when the **** hits the fan and trying to survive.

The thoughts of closed borders and rationing current supplies and hiding in Ireland while the world falls apart would make me want to get bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

i dont know, i only really speak english so language would be a problem for mw and dont really know the landscape of europe, at least in ireland i have family and know the area well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

very first thing i'd do would be arm up, a quick GIS shows a park with flowerbeds and small trees near the base of the tower, head there, see if you can find a decent sized support stake, i'm fairly sure I see star pickets in a few of the pictures, look for saplings.

now size up your situation, how fast is the infection spreading, is it spreading into the park or are you at ground zero spreading out.

next get the help out of dodge, i'd forget about the hotel and the car, best bet is to get a taxi, the drivers local knowledge will be invaluable, if the infection is spreading apace the taxidriver will be on the same page.

now that you are clear of Paris you have to find safe haven, if like some of the posters here you know somewhere safe and can speak the lingo head there.

me I can't speak french and would be my first time in the country, so i'm going to go with finding a sailboat and heading home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

The first thing I'd do is not be in Paris in the first place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

you'll find everyone speaks english if you say it slowly and loudly :pac:
    realistically tho its an international city, find some young people [not zombies] and they probably have english, and could help you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭carol clery

i'd get any car avail and head to my apt in alicante. local cop shop around the corner and national cop shop on the other corner should keep things safe for a while and weapons near by too plus secure gates on the apt building will keep them out for a while. id stock up on the way, little and often so as no to draw attention.

short term plan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I would try to make my way out of the city by going under the city and go into the sewer system. The streets are going to be over run with zeds and traffic jams. Once I got out of Paris I'd head for the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I would try to make my way out of the city by going under the city and go into the sewer system. The streets are going to be over run with zeds and traffic jams. Once I got out of Paris I'd head for the countryside.

that just dosent strike me as a sensible option, it would only be an option if you had extensive knowledge of the sewers and maps/lights/ropes etc.

the french resistance hid in the sewers and entire squads of well equipped german soldiers couldnt find them or in some cases find their way out without assistance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    that just dosent strike me as a sensible option, it would only be an option if you had extensive knowledge of the sewers and maps/lights/ropes etc.

the french resistance hid in the sewers and entire squads of well equipped german soldiers couldnt find them or in some cases find their way out without assistance
    I would rather take my chances in the sewers than with 10 million plus zombies above ground. I have always thought that the chances of surviving a zombie outbreak if you are in a large city are somewhere between slim and none.

Advertisement