Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet filling problem

Options
  • 03-09-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭

Toilet would not fill this morning, so in my infinate wisdom, I decided to take the water from the bath taps and start filling the cistern with it. As soon as I turned on the taps, the cistern began to fill!

I don't have any knowledge of the plumbing system so I have no idea why this happened. The plumbing is quite old, probably 40 - 50 years going by the style of hardware. We recently had the tank in the attic changed however, about 2 months ago, as the other one was rusting through.

Anyone any ideas on how this could be remedied before I call a plumber? Or can anyone explain to me how this is happening?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Toilet would not fill this morning, so in my infinate wisdom, I decided to take the water from the bath taps and start filling the cistern with it. As soon as I turned on the taps, the cistern began to fill!

I don't have any knowledge of the plumbing system so I have no idea why this happened. The plumbing is quite old, probably 40 - 50 years going by the style of hardware. We recently had the tank in the attic changed however, about 2 months ago, as the other one was rusting through.

Anyone any ideas on how this could be remedied before I call a plumber? Or can anyone explain to me how this is happening?

Thanks

If it was only a once off dont worry about it , if its constantly happening then call a plumber , it might just need a new ballvalve

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Thanks

It sounds like an air lock. When you opened the bath tap it may have cleared it's self. Was there any splutter of air when you opened the tap? either from the tap or the ball-valve in the cistern.

It may not happen again if it hasn't before. For this to happen the tank in your attic might have run dry at some stage. If there was no interruption to your water supply there may be dirt stuck in the ball valve in the attic tank causing it to fill slower than normal & could result in the tank running dry if a lot of water was run off quickly. It may be worth checking to make sure it's filling at full flow.

If the ball valve is blocked you may need a plumber if you can't sort it your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Froststop wrote: »
    It sounds like an air lock. When you opened the bath tap it may have cleared it's self. Was there any splutter of air when you opened the tap? either from the tap or the ball-valve in the cistern.

It may not happen again if it hasn't before. For this to happen the tank in your attic might have run dry at some stage. If there was no interruption to your water supply there may be dirt stuck in the ball valve in the attic tank causing it to fill slower than normal & could result in the tank running dry if a lot of water was run off quickly. It may be worth checking to make sure it's filling at full flow.

If the ball valve is blocked you may need a plumber if you can't sort it your self.

I think you're right with the air lock. It did make a hiss noise and seems to be working now. I will get the possible blocked ball valve checked out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

I think you're right with the air lock. It did make a hiss noise and seems to be working now. I will get the possible blocked ball valve checked out.

Thanks

It may just be stiff or have gotten stuck. Also make sure the lever/arm is moving freely and has no tight points when moved up & down.
    Update us with your findings.

Advertisement