Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this possable here in ireland

Options
  • 03-09-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm toying about the idea of building a camper,whilst browsing net,i found a couple who got a camper body built onto the chassis of there pickup truck in america,this gave me an idea as i have a transit sitting here but with major damage too rear and side panels and wouldnt mind using the chassis and cab as they are perfect and engine is 100 percent.
    i dont think id do it at as big of scale as they did.
    this is the link http://customclasscbuild.blogspot.ie/2009/09/build-from-start-to-finish-part-1.html

Would the outer skin be hard too get in the island of ireland or is there a different way.

PLUS IS IT LEGAL TOO DO HERE ???????

Look forward too hear your thoughts,ideas and suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

I'm no expert but this sounds like more hassle than it's worth. Various threads on here would suggest that Revenue are becoming stricter in terms of registering conversions as campers. One immediate problem you will have is that for it to be a camper you must be able to walk from the cab all the way through to the rear. You may also have big problems getting it insured.

sounds like more hassle than it's worth.
    ... why would you let a little thing like that stop you? bowdown.gif
    Not all companies require the passageway from front to rear. I think it's just a Dolmen stipulation. Stuarts don't require it IIRC.

However modifications to a chassis are another matter that most insurers won't tolerate. There's cases where they wouldn't pay out after an incident as the vehicle in question had wider than stock tyres.
    It'd be worth emailing those photos to a few insurers before you commit. I'm not sure that is a modification to the chassis as you could argue that it's the payload.

After that if you can obtain an SQI report to declare that the conversion meets the requirements to be a camper you're sorted. I'd recommend finding a garage that can do this and clarifying it with them first. Given the depth of the undertaking you may have to show it to them in stages (may require towing to garage) as they'll have to approve the welding separate to the body panelling, etc...

The outer skin could be DIY; a fiberglass/GRP or tin. Welding or chemical brushing required depending on your preference.

Sealant and vinyl would probably be an easier option for a skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭now radio soldier

thank you guys for your comments,i currently live near ballina mayo at moment so there are few insurance companys around in which ill go into and see about said changes too body and insurance,as for garage,theres a few around which do off roaders etc and ill see what they say also.
    i dont care about the messing,hassle and time,as most understand,it be a challange,hobbie,bit of fun and gets me out off the house for abit,
    plus the fact too be able tooo say i did that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

thank you guys for your comments,i currently live near ballina mayo at moment so there are few insurance companys around in which ill go into and see about said changes too body and insurance,as for garage,theres a few around which do off roaders etc and ill see what they say also.
    i dont care about the messing,hassle and time,as most understand,it be a challange,hobbie,bit of fun and gets me out off the house for abit,
    plus the fact too be able tooo say i did that.

You could find out who moglander is insured with his is a breadvan on the back of a unimog.

• Advertisement

If you get anywhere with this please post a build thread or at least a few progress pics? :)

Advertisement