Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dealing with internalised homophobia?

Options
  • 03-09-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is one of those things that is hard to discuss outright, but here goes.

I'm 25, and had the weird trajectory of having same-sex relationships from my early teens, coming out when I was 16 and then going back to straight relationships after some pretty ferocious homophobia. I think I'm bi, or at least some of the relationships have been genuinely good, but almost all of my partners have guessed at some point or another that I am not straight and maybe even that I'd rather be with a woman. Normally I just stay single.

More and more I feel like it's women that I'm really attracted to, but I feel like I've trained myself only to be attracted to women that I don't actually know because I spent so long being treated like a pervert in school. People *hated* me for being into women and so I stopped telling them. Now I feel like I've lied to my best female friends, and though I know I never act inappropriately, I'm scared that the immediate straight-girl reaction will be to feel violated because that was how it was in my teens. Part of me, simply put, still feels like a pervert, even though I know that's not the case.

It has been a good five years since I was with a girl, and towards the end it was always fairly soulless drunken encounters. I knew I was treating people like **** so I stopped, but I didn't address things. When I was really young, like 13, I had a lovely relationship with a girl and was genuinely fine with it, though pragmatically quiet. But since I got outed and bullied, I feel like I treat the girls I'm with badly because I don't want to be gay and I somehow end up blaming or resenting them. When I left my ****ty town I promised myself I'd reinvent myself and be honest, but as soon as I encountered more preppy teenage girls I immediately went back into the closet (after one painful but quite funny attempt to come out to a girl roommate who didn't know what LGBT was).

Obviously the rational part of me hates homophobia and knows that this is just a prolongued version of outing anxiety. But it isn't the rational part of me that mistreats women because I don't like what I am and would rather be straight. I feel like I'm perpetuating the behaviour towards gayness that I learned (I'm not trying to absolve myself of responsibility; it is absolutely up to me to treat people right) and I don't know how to stop. I'm scared to even *look* at a real life woman in case I do this **** all over again, but I don't know how to change the way I seem to react when faced with prospect of being reviled. Part of me thinks I'm just not brave enough to pay the price for being whatever it is I am, but I know it's selfish to be with men and want to be with women.

So, my questions are:

- Is this just a part of the process of coming to terms with your sexuality?
    - Have you had to unlearn homophobic behaviour and if so, how did you manage it?
    - Do you ever get over the feeling that, deep down, if you had the choice, you'd be straight?

Maybe I should look for counselling or something, I don't know. I'm sorry to be asking this question here, because I know that being gay isn't a full time job and you shouldn't have to hold everyone's hands through all this crap...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hi. Nice post! Talking about these things (even on the Internet!) is a great step to take.

Some of what you say reminds me of my own coming to terms / coming out, although maybe a bit more heightened than anything I went through. Certainly though, mucking about in my early/mid teens, feeling guilty about it, and being scared to even *look* at a real life [wo]man. I was a big bundle of unwanted feelings in my late teens / early twenties.

For me, and I was just thinking about this the other day, what changed all that was realising one day, however obvious or silly it sounds, that I am myself. All of me. And I am not a bad person.

And I am gay.

And I am still myself. Nothing has changed. Still not a bad person. Still the same me that was sitting here 5 minutes ago, before uttering the words: I am gay.

There was this irrational fear that that wouldn't be the case. To be gay I have to be something else.. something I don't like and nobody likes and everything would be different. But that wasn't true. Being gay wasn't something to step into or become, it's something that is and always has been a part of me. The only thing that changed was my outlook on life, for the better, and having a whole new part of myself and the world to explore, on my terms with noone forcing or restricting me. And not restricting myself, either.

Since then I really haven't ever wished I was straight. Because I'm not, never have been, and really don't know what I would be if I was. And while being gay isn't always super-fun-times (I'm sure nothing is) I've found it a lot better than not-being-gay-on-purpose.

Well, not sure if any of that is helpful in any way. I guess it boils down to, don't be afraid of yourself. If a part of that self is the gay part, that doesn't change the whole. It just another part to explore :)

Advertisement