Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting Fire causes neighbours living room gets smoked.

Options
  • 03-09-2013 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I’m just wondering what could be the most likely issue here. Basically when I light a fire in my own living room, this causes my neighbours living room to fill with smoke.

The house is a mid-terrace , about 1940’s build.

Anyone hazard a guess what could be the problem before I call in a builder to have a look.

Thanks
    Barr:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

I’m just wondering what could be the most likely issue here. Basically when I light a fire in my own living room, this causes my neighbours living room to fill with smoke.

Anyone hazard a guess what could be the problem before I call in a builder to have a look.

Thanks
    There could be a few reasons
    The chimney between both houses been damage and smoke leaking across.
    Smoke been pulled down their chimney from yours.
    You probly need to get someone in to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Don't some older terrace houses have a sort of shared chimney stack system ?

If it is such a system then the costs for any repair would be split I would imagine as the chimney flue would be owned by both houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Robbie.G wrote: »
    There could be a few reasons
    The chimney between both houses been damage and smoke leaking across.
    Smoke been pulled down their chimney from yours.
    You probly need to get someone in to check it out

Would it be easy to diagnose what the problem is or would it involve taking the chimney apart. Just afraid the costs would rack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

If your neighbor is not using their fire it will have a cold chimney, cold air will fall down the chimney, if your smoke is passing it will be drawn down the flue, thus smoke in the room, cue is a chimney balloon,

http://www.chimneyballoon.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Hi All

Thanks

Call a chimney Co.
    Not a builder. It might need relining.
    My home insurance covered the cost totally. As I previously had a chimney fire.
    Chimney Co. handled it all with insurance Co.

• Advertisement

If your neighbor is not using their fire it will have a cold chimney, cold air will fall down the chimney, if your smoke is passing it will be drawn down the flue, thus smoke in the room, cue is a chimney balloon,

http://www.chimneyballoon.ie/

Hi Billy

Just wondering about this. So if my neighbour were to use this balloon would the smoke try and escape elsewhere? Not sure the neighbour would be to receptive to this although he did mention he does not use his fire anymore

scudo2 wrote: »
    Call a chimney Co.
    Not a builder. It might need relining.
    My home insurance covered the cost totally. As I previously had a chimney fire.
    Chimney Co. handled it all with insurance Co.

Hi Scudo

What chimney company did you use ? I didn’t know such a thing existed.

What did it cost to reline a chimney if you don’t mind me asking.

Hi Scudo

What chimney company did you use ? I didn’t know such a thing existed.

What did it cost to reline a chimney if you don’t mind me asking.

I'm based in Cork, where are you?

Maybe someone can recommend a company in your area.
    Golden pages has a listing under "chimneys"
    Chimney co. looked at the flue and took pictures. I Told insurance co. and then they delt with chimney co. who I know for years in my line of work.(oil boilers)

Cost 5k (handy money for the work and material)
    FBD paid the full amount straight away, best insurance co. I've ever dealt with.

Job has to be fixed properly for you and your neighbours safety. Forget baloon its only for safe chimneys.

My neighbour had smoke in his house till we realised my flue was all cracked.ok now, but get chimney co to have a look, it might just be a down draft and need a special cowel.

Pm me if you need more info. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

. Not sure the neighbour would be to receptive to this although he did mention he does not use his fire anymore

If I was the neighbour, I wouldn't be receptive either. Chimney balloons can cause dampness, often in older houses the chimney is the only ventilation left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Cedrus wrote: »
    If I was the neighbour, I wouldn't be receptive either. Chimney balloons can cause dampness, often in older houses the chimney is the only ventilation left.

Not that i'm linked in anyway to the company but i'll point you to the features and benefits section of the website and the statement "allows chimney ventilation".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭kanji

Whatever the issue with the chimney is you're going to have to stop using the fire until the issue is fixed as you could be filling their sitting room with carbon monoxide!!

scudo2 wrote: »
    I'm based in Cork, where are you?

Maybe someone can recommend a company in your area.
    Golden pages has a listing under "chimneys"
    Chimney co. looked at the flue and took pictures. I Told insurance co. and then they delt with chimney co. who I know for years in my line of work.(oil boilers)

Cost 5k (handy money for the work and material)
    FBD paid the full amount straight away, best insurance co. I've ever dealt with.

Job has to be fixed properly for you and your neighbours safety. Forget baloon its only for safe chimneys.

My neighbour had smoke in his house till we realised my flue was all cracked.ok now, but get chimney co to have a look, it might just be a down draft and need a special cowel.

Pm me if you need more info. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

With respects to an Insurance company covering the costs associated with repairing your problem, an Insurer will only cover a specific loss for which occurred during their period of cover.

They can also CCTV the flue to determine if your problem is down to old age / wear and tear or a chimney fire.

They WILL NOT cover wear and tear. Don't be fooled into thinking that they will.

Also, it's being suggested that you use a Loss Assessor. This is your right however they have their own issues and can charge you up to 10% of whatever you get from an insurer (if they pay out that is)

Have your flue inspected by a CCTV survey and find out what's wrong first.

Advertisement