Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick my studio gear. A useful game...for me :)

Options
  • 03-09-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi Y'all,
    So heres the story. I have a budget of 10k. On top of this, I have a certain amount of gear, some that I'm keeping, some I'm willing to sell. For the sake of direction, assume that the rooms I operate in are fine and dandy in terms of acoustic treatment etc, and that I'm a genius in terms of sound engineering. :) So this is solely about the gear.
    Equipment I have and intend keeping:
    Mics:
    Neumann U87
    SE 5600a
    Stereo pair Rode NT 5's
    AKG D112
    3 SM 57's
    2 SM 58's
    SM7b
    2 AKG 418's
    SE 1a

Behringer Powerplay headphone amp.

Apple Mac Pro quad core. 8gb mem.

Gear I have and am willing to sell:
    Liquid Saffire 56 - prob get about 500 - 550 for
    Digi 002 Rack - prob get 150 - 200 for
    Octopre mk1 with dynamics - maybe get 300 - 400 for

I want at least 12 - 16 live analogue channels and require AD conversion for them. DA conversion for stereo mix too.
    I need a few sets of studio headphones.
    Studio monitor speakers. (Have stands)
    Some good heavy duty mic stands.
    A DAW and good reverb, compression, tape emulation and EQ plugins.

Mostly recording rock, pop, soul, acoustic, funk. Basically, band type stuff rather than dancey synthy stuff.
    Would like to have the absolute best quality recordings I possibly can.

Here is what would be a fine set of gear, but adding a DAW, plugins, cables, mic stands, headphones etc probably would be over budget:

Genelec 8040 Monitors (I'm looking for an accurate rendering of the recorded audio)
    Antelope Orion 32 AD/DA (Getting RAVE reviews, and the A/B tests are great)
    API 3124 (I've used them in studios, and just love em on drums but they is pricey!)
    Twin Finity 4-710d (This is very open. Really, I just want quality pre-amps, and I have to be honest, this is here because of what other people have said, not based on experience. :o )
    Focusrite ISA 828 (8 channels of Rupert Neves ISA pre's. Is there a better value 8 channel alternative?)

What gear would yee buy/sell in the above situation?

Thanks for playing :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

You're in the right direction with the Antelope.

PERSONALLY, I'd choose to try and buy a VARIETY of pres, instead of 8-16-32 of a single type.

You COULD go the lunchbox way and save a lot of money without losing much in the way of quality. Certainly worth considering.

I also think you're well underspending on monitors... there's a lot better options if you were to just up to 2-3K.

I just bought some Trident HG3s, and honestly, they smoke 99% of two way monitors on the market. They're RRP is a little over 5K, but there's MUCH better deals to be found. And Trident, you know... not crap.

YMMV obv.

You might ALSO consider getting a decent analogue desk... that'd give you a LOT of EQ, and pre options, and you're ADDA is sound, so... what's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Revolver Ireland

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    You're in the right direction with the Antelope.

PERSONALLY, I'd choose to try and buy a VARIETY of pres, instead of 8-16-32 of a single type.

You COULD go the lunchbox way and save a lot of money without losing much in the way of quality. Certainly worth considering.

I also think you're well underspending on monitors... there's a lot better options if you were to just up to 2-3K.

I just bought some Trident HG3s, and honestly, they smoke 99% of two way monitors on the market. They're RRP is a little over 5K, but there's MUCH better deals to be found. And Trident, you know... not crap.

YMMV obv.

You might ALSO consider getting a decent analogue desk... that'd give you a LOT of EQ, and pre options, and you're ADDA is sound, so... what's not to like?

I've already done some purchasing, and I already bought my monitors. Neumann kh 120's. The Tridents maybe one day
    I got an API 3124+, and a Midas Venice F32 for its pre's, EQ and summing capabilities.
    Still intend on the Orion too.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I've already done some purchasing, and I already bought my monitors. Neumann kh 120's. The Tridents maybe one day
    I got an API 3124+, and a Midas Venice F32 for its pre's, EQ and summing capabilities.
    Still intend on the Orion too.

The 120s are nice - I'd def consider the Subs as well though -the 810. The 120s are amazing little speakers, but only are really flat to about 55kHz - add the sub and you're down to 19!

Advertisement