If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Opening a Bank account: what do I need?

  • 03-09-2013 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36


    I would like to open my bank account as soon as I move to Dublin before my course starts. I would like to know how I can open a bank account and what do I need?

    Forgot to mention I am a postgraduate student. Will I need just and ID and my flat contract? Or do I also need a letter from the college or something? If so where can I pick it up from?

    Moreover, what's the best bank to open a student account in your experience?



  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

    Just did that very thing this morning, as it happens, at Permanent TSB. I gave them a passport as ID, and my car insurance certificate as proof-of-address and that was fine.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

    You need photo ID/passport, proof of address (recent bill usually suffices), and some form of student ID (or proof of college acceptance) to open a student/postgrad/relevant account.

  • Registered Users Posts: 36 wklize

    So I suppose the contract of my flat and an ID should be fine. Thanks so much for the help!

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

    When I opened one in BOI in Trinity all I needed was my Student card and that was it. Needed a proof of address and passport for the loans though.

  • Registered Users Posts: 36 wklize

    I don't have a student card yet, but I suppose I will manage to get it by 18 September

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

    wklize wrote: »
    I don't have a student card yet, but I suppose I will manage to get it by 18 September

    If you have a tuition fee invoice or something similar they normally accept that, just as long as it has your details on it so you can prove you attend a college.