Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bont wide fit shoes

Options
  • 03-09-2013 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I've gotten by fine with the Lake shoes I have at the moment (road and tri shoes) but since I've upped my milage in the last 6 months I've noticed how wrong they are for my feet.

I have wide feet and am "greek footed"

showthread.php?337379-Greek-Roman-or-Egyptian&h=250&w=450&sz=5&tbnid=G-W2LkfaLJLHgM:&tbnh=73&tbnw=132&zoom=1&usg=__cPi6v--p-mulRv8jrJ17RI9K1aI=&docid=Wo32u0_ZjUBvrM&sa=X&ei=LNMlUuOABsnA7AbE14GgDA&sqi=2&ved=0CEcQ9QEwAw&dur=5648

which makes it difficult for me to buy shoes in general (not to mention the fact that my right foot is wider than my left).

I've been looking at Bont shoes and it seems like the wide fit might just do the job for me but trying to find an online retailer (or lbs) with a selection of them is proving difficult.

Does anyone know where I can find a good selection of Bont shoes in WIDE fit???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

You can buy direct from bont. You can also pay 30 dollars extra for a semi custom fit where you can email/fax them a tracing of your foot and they'll select the right shoe for you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

www.velodromeshop.net have a decent selection - I ended up ordering the Vaypour wide but had to send them back as the fit was still too tight and the buckle strap "buckled"! - I suffer from very wide feet and a very high instep and ended up having to get a pair custom made

As an alternative ahave you considered Sidi Mega shoes? I still have to go at least a size higher to get the required width but do find them reasonably comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭MAntoD

You can buy direct from bont. You can also pay 30 dollars extra for a semi custom fit where you can email/fax them a tracing of your foot and they'll select the right shoe for you.

I've seen that but I've read loads of posts on slowtwitch etc saying that had been problematic. I've heard they are a tight fit and ordering a size up from what you are on the size chart is a good bet. would I be right?

Beasty wrote: »
    www.velodromeshop.net have a decent selection - I ended up ordering the Vaypour wide but had to send them back as the fit was still too tight and the buckle strap "buckled"! - I suffer from very wide feet and a very high instep and ended up having to get a pair custom made

As an alternative ahave you considered Sidi Mega shoes? I still have to go at least a size higher to get the required width but do find them reasonably comfortable

Cheers for the link. I had looked at the Megas alright but Sidi don't make a mega Tri shoe and I have a thing about having shoes that are as similar as possible for training and racing (stems from having different race shoes a few years ago which caused calf cramps. the minute I switched to same brand and style as my road shoe I was in business).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I only know bont sizing from roller/inline skate boots so not sure how it translates to cycling shoes regarding sizing but you can heat mold the bonts as well. Bont have good customer service so you can email them all your questions and they get back to you quite quick

• Advertisement

I might do that. Annoying the way they only do the a-two and up in a wide fit! The riots seem like a good shoe. Carbon sole at that price point is hard to beat!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

After using my a-3 bonts for a couple of weeks, I decided to give up on them entirely when the badly designed heel cup caused chafing issues of the skin on my heels...ouch!!! Never had this problem with any other brand of cycling shoes..
    The standard fit bonts are really wide....As far as sizing goes would say that a 43 bont is about the same size as a 42 specialized...

The new bont riot seems to have a more conventional heel cup, and improved ventilation, and less carbon/fiberglass around the toebox..
    These are really affordable come in half sizes, but unfortunately no wide fitting as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

have you tried northwave shoes,i also have very wide feet and the only shoes i found comfortable where northwave ones there is another company who do wide fit specific shoes but i cant remember who they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I have bont a-two wide fit shoes, girlfriend got them for me last christmas. I measured my feet according to their website, they advised a wide fit shoe. When it arrived I baked in the oven according to instructions and now they fit perfectly. So perfectly in fact, that I don't use my old shoes for training anymore, and any new shoes I try on just aren't comfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

I have a pair of bonts in my bottom drawer as they are unwearable. They were fine at the start, but they just got more and more painful as time went on.

As for heat moulding, don't make me laugh, doesn't make one bit of difference to the shape and the fact the sole is so immalleable and unforgiving is the biggest problem. I can't even use them for a TT as all I can think about is how much my feet hurt.

Also, two more gripes, you can't buy new insoles separately for them and the so called T-Nuts that hold on the cleat can break easily and are hard to get if do break one.

I now have a pair of specialized S-Works shoes and can safely say they are by far the best fitting shoe for me. Will be sticking with them. Their saddles hit the spot too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fran83

I order a custom color pair from bont this year as I have a wide foot too.

Below is a link to show you haw to measure you foot so that you get the perfect size.

http://www.bont.com/cycling/items/support/sizeWizard_Cyclingshoe.html

It worked perfect for me.

Well worth the money.

I would also advise getting some custom insole as these make a hugh difference.

http://www.sidassport.com/en/our-products/biking/custom-bike-insoles-100-2.html

These can be got in the great outdoors for 50 yoyo's

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

fran83 wrote: »

Below is a link to show you haw to measure you foot so that you get the perfect size.

Out of sheer curiosity I measured my foot using this method as shown, and it told me I should be a 44. Yet I'm a 47 in all other cycling shoes. So I definitely wouldn't go by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Out of sheer curiosity I measured my foot using this method as shown, and it told me I should be a 44. Yet I'm a 47 in all other cycling shoes. So I definitely wouldn't go by that.

I measured my foot using that guide and my shoes fit perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I've two pairs of Bont's A2 and the newer Riot. I find them brilliant once they have been fitted properly.
    The Riot shoes are a more traditional shape and for a standard size are wider than the a2. Sizing seemed spot on I didn't need to go up a size in the bonts and I always have had to with shimano for example.

fran83 wrote: »

Well worth the money.

I would also advise getting some custom insole as these make a hugh difference.

http://www.sidassport.com/en/our-products/biking/custom-bike-insoles-100-2.html

These can be got in the great outdoors for 50 yoyo's

I tried the size wizard thing the other day and I came out at a 43 wide which seems about right. Just need to bite the bullet and order a pair I think. From reading up about the shape of the toe box etc they should suit the shape of my foot perfectly. We'll have to wait and see I suppose!

clog wrote: »
    I've two pairs of Bont's A2 and the newer Riot. I find them brilliant once they have been fitted properly.
    The Riot shoes are a more traditional shape and for a standard size are wider than the a2. Sizing seemed spot on I didn't need to go up a size in the bonts and I always have had to with shimano for example.

That sounds promising about the Riot although according to the size wizard my foot is too wide for the riots. Shame really but I'm used to having to fork out extra cash for footwear. I'm a 2E in most running shoes....

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fran83

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

You might go to specsavers for you cycling shoe then.........

Advertisement