Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of sending a fax in Dublin

Options
  • 02-09-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Faxed four pages today from a Dublin net cafe and was charged 4 euros. I asked a few other places first and it seems that 1e per page is the minimum charge in Dublin city centre.

I know they have low profit margins in these places for the main services they provide but I thought charging 4e for what would cost them a few cents was exorbitant to say the least- I'm open to correction though...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

a few cents on the phone call for the fax .. on top of a couple of thousand on rates, rent, salary, light, heating, insurance, the actual cost of the fax machine etc ..... sure all you are paying for is the couple of cents worth of a fax call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

So you walked around checking prices to try and get lower than €1 per page? Will you be sending faxes on a daily basis or was this a once-off thing?
    As a matter of genuine interest, what do you think would be a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

spyderski wrote: »
    So you walked around checking prices to try and get lower than €1 per page? Will you be sending faxes on a daily basis or was this a once-off thing?
    As a matter of genuine interest, what do you think would be a fair price?

I had 31 pages to fax of a tenancy agreement but I ended up sending only the most relevant pages (which may not be acceptable after all). So yes, when quoted a price of 1 euro a page I had hoped instead to get a lower price of even 50 cent, or a deal for sending pages in bulk, etc- walking to three different net cafes all within two to three minutes walking distance of each other isn't such a big thing after all.

As I said, if 1 euro a fax page is reasonable, I'll happily stand corrected!

€1 for a page is completely reasonable, in fact €1.50 would be too, however there should be a discount for multiple pages - down to 0.50 per page after 5 pages I would say.

In my experience, most places would have offered this kind of discount but as there is almost no demand for a faxing service anymore, maybe its become a bit of a "take-it-or-leave-it" thing.....

€1 for a page is completely reasonable, in fact €1.50 would be too, however there should be a discount for multiple pages - down to 0.50 per page after 5 pages I would say.

In my experience, most places would have offered this kind of discount but as there is almost no demand for a faxing service anymore, maybe its become a bit of a "take-it-or-leave-it" thing.....

Yeah, exactly. Maybe I should just be glad there's a working fax left to use in the city at all! Or be more miffed that someone in this day and age refused to let me scan and email them a document...

• Advertisement

Yeah, exactly. Maybe I should just be glad there's a working fax left to use in the city at all! Or be more miffed that someone in this day and age refused to let me scan and email them a document...

:eek:I was thinking the same (just thought you were a bit backwards!). I can't believe they insisted on a fax - You should have asked them for their Telex number!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If access to a scanner why not just use a fax service like blueface or something:

http://www.blueface.ie/fax.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Are you seriously trying to tell me you needed to send 31 pages and the shop - ANY shop, quoted you 31 euro?

You will always get a discount for volume and while I charge 2 euro for a fax to ireland. I wouldnt have charged you any more than a fiver for that.

A lady came in to me yesterday and asked about photocopying. I told her 20c a page. She frowned as she needed 200. I instantly dropped to 10c.

Did you ask the shop for a volume discount?

Are you seriously trying to tell me you needed to send 31 pages and the shop - ANY shop, quoted you 31 euro?

You will always get a discount for volume and while I charge 2 euro for a fax to ireland. I wouldnt have charged you any more than a fiver for that.

A lady came in to me yesterday and asked about photocopying. I told her 20c a page. She frowned as she needed 200. I instantly dropped to 10c.

Did you ask the shop for a volume discount?

In fairness I didn't even bother asking for a discount, I didn't think of it since when I realised the price would be 1e a page, I immediately thought of sending only a handful of the most important pages. Even at half price it still would have been 15 euros for the service so it just wasn't feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Scan it and save it as a PDF. Email that off. Would cost a hell of a lot less to use their scanner service if you don't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

:eek:I was thinking the same (just thought you were a bit backwards!). I can't believe they insisted on a fax - You should have asked them for their Telex number!

I'd never pay more than a shilling for a fax.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

faxes are still a thing?

faxes are still a thing?

They have their uses apparently in the legal world.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭musicfan1ie

faxes are still a thing?

Yep. Still very useful in business, if you don't want to keep a digital trail on your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why not scan and email? or if you are familiar with efax, you dont even need the a fax machine anymore...

Advertisement