Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I read this, and it made me sad...

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

14t24pi.jpg

Although I know that there will be many opinions about this article, I personally felt a great deal of sympathy for this man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

That's so sad. I know we're getting better as a society and stories like this should become less and less, but then again I'm originally from rural Ireland and I personally know three men who are gay/bi but hiding it by going on the pull for women with their friends on the weekends. Anyone from home I know who's gay and out has moved away to Derry or Dublin (myself included). It can be very hard to stay in a small town once you're out so I can understand why people are so afraid to be themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dr. Shrike

In a way these older super closeted men were probably trapped by their lack of obvious gay stereotypes.

I imagine their gay peers, who couldn't hide their sexuality, were forced to deal with it, and perhaps left town or even the country.

Meanwhile those who could hide, were able to take what seemed like the easier option at the time.

It would be nice to think it doesn't happen anymore in Ireland...

Advertisement