Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside power cable to pir light

Options
  • 02-09-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all
    I aim to ask electrician to install pir outside light, but want to check what will be needed. At the moment I have an external power cable which seems to have 4 cores, brown black grey and blue. Can this be used directly to wire a security light? Sorry for basic question - not an area I have any knowledge of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi if its the right size 1.5 square then it's ideal as you will be able to switch on permanent or by pir sensor.

Helps for if you needed light left on for whatever reason.

Is the cable already ran to light point?

Needed
    Cable clips
    Junction box possibly
    Light switch and back box
    Light fitting
    I find the seperate PIR sensor do a better job and cover a better area even now with a 180 degree coverage on base.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi if its the right size 1.5 square then it's ideal as you will be able to switch on permanent or by pir sensor.

Helps for if you needed light left on for whatever reason.

Is the cable already ran to light point?

Double click the internal light switch plate and a Robus PIR will keep the external lights on for a solid 8 hours.

After that the PIR goes back to normal mode and the lights switch back off,waiting for the PIR to sense movement and activate them again.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Double click the internal light switch plate and a Robus PIR will keep the external lights on for a solid 8 hours.

After that the PIR goes back to normal mode and the lights switch back off,waiting for the PIR to sense movement and activate them again.

That's good all right haven't come across them yet sure they keep changing stuff all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doodlekabob

Hi, I assume the 4 colours are standard or should I have it checked as to what are live, neutral, earth etc? I think it is already connected to an internal switch.

• Advertisement

Hi, I assume the 4 colours are standard or should I have it checked as to what are live, neutral, earth etc? I think it is already connected to an internal switch.

If an Electrician is doing the job they will sort that end.

Brown Live and also usually Grey but check as you never know who was at it.
    Blue should be Neutral
    Black probably been used as earth but as said do get someone who knows and best have the earth marked with earth tape at both ends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

That's good all right haven't come across them yet sure they keep changing stuff all the time.

Its just a normal Robus External PIR that you can get in most decent leccy wholesalers.;)

180 degree detection and adjustable 12 meter detection range.Timer function aswell,10 seconds to 10 minutes on time and then the 8 hour overide function.Adjustable LUX too.

Not too bad for 12 euro.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Its just a normal Robus External PIR that you can get in most decent leccy wholesalers.;)

180 degree detection and adjustable 12 meter detection range.Timer function aswell,10 seconds to 10 minutes on time and then the 8 hour overide function.Adjustable LUX too.

Not too bad for 12 euro.:)

I've come across all different ones also robus and didn't have that function but will keep a look out;)

Advertisement