Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best *nix distro

Options
  • 02-09-2013 7:39pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wondering what distro people would recommend for an old Windows 2000 machine with about 256mb of ram and 100gb storage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I'd take a look at Puppy Linux or Lubuntu.

If you can scrounge up any extra RAM for that machine it will make things that bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Itzy wrote: »
    Wondering what distro people would recommend for an old Windows 2000 machine with about 256mb of ram and 100gb storage?

Check out Lubuntu. Its Ubuntu with LXDE which is a lightweight graphical interface. Minimum requirements are 256-384 MB of RAM.

Or buy more RAM. RAM is dirt cheap now a days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I picked up the PC from a friend who wants to donate it to charity, so I want thinking of a light weight distribution and a refurbishment before I off load it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

OSI wrote: »
    Chuck a minimal install of Arch on there with LXDE or XFCE on it.
    That would surely be a very lightweight option but might be a bit harder to pick up than the others mentioned if the PC's being given to a stranger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Itzy wrote: »
    I picked up the PC from a friend who wants to donate it to charity, so I want thinking of a light weight distribution and a refurbishment before I off load it.
    Don't

you won't be doing anyone any favours.

unless you know it's to be used as a terminal system or to replace an even older dos based control system

The only advantage a system that old might have is real serial and parallel ports and slightly lower power consumption

check with the charity first to see what they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 GentoomanJames

you could try #! (crunchbang) which is debian based and idles to about 80mb of ram, but I think you may find issues with the installer for that old of a board.

μLinux (MuLinux) might be for you also but I've never used that one personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Maybe AntiX....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A fresh install of Win2K for that machine, IMO ....... too old to try any modern OS on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

μLinux (MuLinux) might be for you also but I've never used that one personally.

I used μLinux on an AST advantage with a whopping 8Megs of RAM booted off a single floppy and it had a fully working shell. It was pretty awesome. It was one of the first distro's I used.

I know I said in a previous post get more RAM, but thinking back, I've worked on machines that should have been taken out back and dumped before and realy, it is rarely worth the effort. Either upgrade a few things, use it as a headless system, or a firewall or just pass it on, life is too short to be coaxing a computer less powerful than your phone into life. You're never going to get an enjoyable user experience out of it with 256 MB of RAM. Computer hardware is so cheap nowadays. Safe yourself the hassle and go get a decent system. Maybe keep the case?

Advertisement