Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandbox open world - creating The Matrix?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 7:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I've always wonder if you could say take something like GTA4 and create an entirely virtual city?

You know the way you see shop fronts and houses, apartment blocks etc....but they are all closed off and cant be explored?

Why cant someone create a world builder that anyone could create characters, storylines, open shops etc?

Is it techincally possible?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Second life TBH.

It's not really feasible with today's hardware and storage, tho I do remember hearing that the likes of a modern game world could be shrunk down into a fully realised stret block at least. You could also do something like street view streaming with a world I guess or some sort of procedural world like the Subversion game by Introversion.

I suppose another factor would be that it might not be much fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bong talk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bong talk.

how did you know i was stoned......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

how did you know i was stoned......:confused:

cause your from limerick
    I hear it grows on trees their:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    cause your from limerick

you're :pac:

• Advertisement

grammar nazi! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

cause your from limerick
    there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

If you're going to be a grammar nazi. I'd suggest you go threw all your previous posts, because they contain bad grammar:pac:

THIS IS THE INTERWEBZZZZZ

If you're going to be a grammar nazi. I'd suggest you go threw all your previous posts, because they contain bad grammar:pac:

THIS IS THE INTERWEBZZZZZ

Through.......jaysus!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

grammar nazi! :rolleyes:

Grammar Nazi ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

marco_polo wrote: »
    Grammar Nazi ;)

Nazi ist Das plural form.
    Ze mussen "Nazum" gesayen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Sir_Badshot

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bong talk.

Why exactly is it bong talk? Come back in 10- 15 years and we are there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why exactly is it bong talk? Come back in 10- 15 years and we are there.

ogear.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

well, take a look at some indie games (project zomboid springs to mind) where they have developed something similar (i havent looked at pz for a while, so I am not sure of the current status of it). Now, its not in the graphical style of GTA3-4, but it shows that it is possible.

as for the whole city, the type of thing would take development, lots of it, but when games the like of Saints Row are able to dynamically load the city (2 was a great example of how easily this worked) as you move through it, it should be possible to apply the same logic and styles to buildings. On the currently available hardware, i wouldn't be sure how plausible or effective it could be (maybe just the equivalent of a 5m radius) but in using larger storage or better buffering and compression technologies being developed, we might even see something like this in the next iteration of consoles.

so basically, yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Locking this for what I assume are obvious reasons!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement