Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows on new house - no keys, child advice

• 02-09-2013 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We're almost at the end of a long house buying saga, so now I'm looking into the nitty gritty.

The house was built circa 2001. It has white PVC double glazing. The keys for the windows are long gone.

Would love advice on the following:
    1) How would I find out what make/brand the windows are?
    2) What advice would people have in how to make sure the windows are secure and safe?

I'm think not only fire safety here but child safety. We have a two year old and a 7 week old!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm not an expert, but I would imagine the best course of action would be to source replacement keys for all windows, then you have full control over them from a security and/or safety point of view.
    Are the windows locked open or closed at the moment?
    If you can open any of them, the brand og lock would usually be on side of window, where it is usually agiainst the frame.
    Otherwise look at the keyholes for any markings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

Some window locks can be turned with a small key or even a small screw driver, give a check 1st before buying more, dont go forcing them if they do they'll turn easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Check when the windows were fitted if it was 2001 chances are they have external beads if so they are a waste of time and a burglars dream come true even alarmed you could be in, in two minutes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 benbrown

My advice is to see if you can get a hooking system that allows the window to only open partially. This allows for airing of rooms and safety for children. And if the window need opening further then it can be clipped off by an adult. We go them on these windows when we upgraded the house. I found them a great source of peace of mind, especially where there are young children.

270846.png

270847.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hey benbrown,

They look great. Where did you get them?

Quad_red

• Advertisement

They came with the windows. I got the windows from these people.

http://www.carlson.ie/

Maybe if you ring them they could sell you some separately. But make sure that they would fit the window system you have. And I would also try any other window manufacturers for something similar if these do not suffice. Hope this helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

My house is littered with these. They're expensive, but do the job well.

http://www.jackloc.com/

They look good but the only problem with them for me is the fact that there is a key involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Put them up high, leave the key in them.

We have the key on a small nail at every window, out of reach of smallies.

Advertisement