Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moisture meter coming up in Aldi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Would this work in a camper?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Should do I reckon. I haven't seen it though but usually there are 2 little prongs you expose and press into the material you are testing. Have a look here to see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Should do I reckon. I haven't seen it though but usually there are 2 little prongs you expose and press into the material you are testing. Have a look here to see what I mean.

Would you not be testing the air in a camper, I ask because I don't know if these are the same thig or not?

No - in my experience it's the actual structure of the camper / caravan to check for damp in case there is some water ingress or was previously and was badly repaired.
    But I'm open to correction....

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Sure the air will change if you open the window, turn on a heater etc.

You need something you can hold against the side wall, the doors of the presses, the inside of the wardrobe etc.

I dont know for a fact if that is what Aldi are selling but I'd imagine it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I don't see how this works in a caravan etc,I thought it was more a guage for logs for stoves to check its moisture content.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

same principle - you hold it up to a log it tells you moisture in log.

You hold it against inside of wardrobe it tell you moisture in side wall of wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

This tester has 2 prongs on it, like deadl0ck suggested ( I sneaked a peak in the shop). Don't see how its usable in a motorhome - I'm not going around pressing the prongs into the walls and roof of mine, leaving marks behind - nevermind puncturing the woodwork of the cupboards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Accurate moisture meters for measuring moisture content in various mediums run into 100's or even 1,000's of euros. I cant see how this would be accurate enough for the same role, at 15 euro.

kadman wrote: »
    Accurate moisture meters for measuring moisture content in various mediums run into 100's or even 1,000's of euros. I cant see how this would be accurate enough for the same role, at 15 euro.
    I have this one and it was able to find damp in caravans I was looking at. They do work, but obviously are not going to be as good as an industrial one, but they are better than trying to feel if there is damp somewhere with your finger !
    They operate on a fairly basic principal, in that if there is damp/moisture there is less resistance between the 2 prongs (die to the presence of moisture) - the more damp / moisture there is, the less resistance there is ([URL="http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4924697_moisture-meter-work.html]"]linky[/URL]). They don't necessarily need to be expensive for such a simple mechanism.
    (Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm open to correction !)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I have this one and it was able to find damp in caravans I was looking at. They do work, but obviously are not going to be as good as an industrial one, but they are better than trying to feel if there is damp somewhere with your finger !
    They operate on a fairly basic principal, in that if there is damp/moisture there is less resistance between the 2 prongs (die to the presence of moisture) - the more damp / moisture there is, the less resistance there is ([URL="http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4924697_moisture-meter-work.html]"]linky[/URL]). They don't necessarily need to be expensive for such a simple mechanism.
    (Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm open to correction !)[/QUO

They probably will tell you if damp is present between the probes. But assuming the probes are only about 6 mm long, they wont tell you if the damp is present in the studwork, nor will they tell you if the moisture located is surface condensation, or penetrating damp.
    You could do the same test with a 30cm square piece of tinfoil, if you now how.
    But glad it worked for you. As a matter of interest, how long are the probes, and are they press in , or hammer in with a lead attached.

kadman wrote: »
    (Of course, if I'm wrong, I'm open to correction !)

They probably will tell you if damp is present between the probes. But assuming the probes are only about 6 mm long, they wont tell you if the damp is present in the studwork, nor will they tell you if the moisture located is surface condensation, or penetrating damp.
    You could do the same test with a 30cm square piece of tinfoil, if you now how.
    But glad it worked for you. As a matter of interest, how long are the probes, and are they press in , or hammer in with a lead attached.
    On the one I have they are about 15mm - here a better pic :
    moisture_rapitest.jpg

They are good for basic checks but you do have to push them into the surface, so I was checking along joins, in corners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jussayeh

Can anybody help - I bought the Digital moisture Meter in Aldi for 14.99 and opened it but it doesn't have any prongs in the top. There are 4 flat metal circles in the 4 corners where the prongs should be - they look like they could be sensors but no matter what I press the flat top agains the read is always 18 .... I've packed it up to bring it back as the picture on the website shows 2 prongs out the top but maybe somebody else here bought one and can tell me if there should be prongs extending outwards or not. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

jussayeh wrote: »
    Can anybody help - I bought the Digital moisture Meter in Aldi for 14.99 and opened it but it doesn't have any prongs in the top. There are 4 flat metal circles in the 4 corners where the prongs should be - they look like they could be sensors but no matter what I press the flat top agains the read is always 18 .... I've packed it up to bring it back as the picture on the website shows 2 prongs out the top but maybe somebody else here bought one and can tell me if there should be prongs extending outwards or not. Thanks

There are two prongs shown in the picture on the ALDI website so it looks like you are missing them.

W36_PD_Thursday_UL21_cd6aa9a931.jpg

Advertisement