Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Compression software

Options
  • 02-09-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I've just started using sony vegas to create video montages of trips in HD using a gopro.

I want to upload them to youtube. Is there any easy to use video compression software that I could use to make the youtube file smaller?

I've heard of sorenson squeeze(spelling), but that's meant to be crazy money.

Any alternatives(free or paid).

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I've just started using sony vegas to create video montages of trips in HD using a gopro.

I want to upload them to youtube. Is there any easy to use video compression software that I could use to make the youtube file smaller?

I've heard of sorenson squeeze(spelling), but that's meant to be crazy money.

Any alternatives(free or paid).

Thanks.

Assuming you are export from vegas to h.254 mp4's your not going to get any better then that. The only thing you can do to shrink the files is degrade the quality. In terms of degrading the quality you can drop the resolution, drop the video bit rate and/or drop the audio bit rate. TBH I wouldn't be doing any of that. The GoPro bit rate is already ~10mbit (versus a Canon DSLR which would be ~40mbit).

Its possible your exporting from Vegas in some uncompressed format thats huge.

What kind of file size versus length are you seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Transcode your gopro footage using cineform, use that to edit and colour and then export using h.264 at 10mbits and whatever audio you want, you'll get a very usable sized file in both size and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Last time I uploaded a really big file youtube itself wanted to give me advice on reducing sizes so have a look in their help too.

Over all I don't really worry too much about compressing stuff before I send it to youtube. Sure I could upload faster but for the most part I'm under no time constraints, so I get it looking good on my screen and then let youtube do the work of compressing it. I think no matter what I do unless I know exactly what youtube want they're going to recompress it to their own standard anyway so why go to the effort? Let Youtube do the work.

Advertisement