Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor for laptop?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    I have a small business and I use my laptops all the time, I have two, a 17 inch and a 13 inch, both Toshiba. I have a sort next and my physio suggested that if I spend all day looking down at a laptop screen that maybe I should buy a monitor so that I would avoid looking down, and also that the screen would be bigger.
    Is there anything I should know about before buying a monitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

You might be better asking in the PC Building and Upgrading Forum, but not really, so long as the monitor has one of the same inputs as an output on your laptops. HDMI will give better quality picture than VGA IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Another option would be a usb or wireless keyboard/mouse combo and just have the laptop sitting higher. Might be cheaper than a monitor. All depends on your needs and what you would feel more comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi guys
    I have a small business and I use my laptops all the time, I have two, a 17 inch and a 13 inch, both Toshiba. I have a sort next and my physio suggested that if I spend all day looking down at a laptop screen that maybe I should buy a monitor so that I would avoid looking down, and also that the screen would be bigger.
    Is there anything I should know about before buying a monitor?

If you have a relatively new TV in your place of business you could also connect up to that via HDMI or VGA

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Soundman wrote: »
    Another option would be a usb or wireless keyboard/mouse combo and just have the laptop sitting higher. Might be cheaper than a monitor. All depends on your needs and what you would feel more comfortable with.

Better and cheaper option, usual the size of the screen is straining your eyes on the laptops then no need for a monitor. In fact dosent even have to be a wireless mouse/keyboard, the cables on most at long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

segasega wrote: »
    Better and cheaper option, usual the size of the screen is straining your eyes on the laptops then no need for a monitor. In fact dosent even have to be a wireless mouse/keyboard, the cables on most at long enough.

It's not the OP's eyes that are the problem, it's their neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks all.
    I will be checking out a monitor from a friend, with a wireless keyboard, so although the laptop will be a small one (13 inch), the screen will be a 19 inch screen, with a full size keyboard, and hopefully this will mean that I can work away without damaging my neck further!
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcorden

If you have a sore neck you should try to ensure the screen is level is set at the right height and from what I understand you should be looking straight ahead and not up or down. It also important that you have the keyboard at the right height. Just put the monitor on some books if it's too low.

Advertisement