Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Gen crossover.

Options
  • 02-09-2013 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭

So I've heard stories about the likes of CoD and BF4 that if you buy the current gen version you can upgrade to next gen for a fee.

Is there any chance this would facilitate any deserters of Xbox for next gen? I would buy BF on xbox360 and upgrade it to ps4 if I could. Seems like a solid idea for people, like myself, who are crossing over.

Of course I could just wait but I only preordered ps4 today so I can expect it around Christmas 2016.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I doubt very much if anything like that was in place, you'd get cross platform as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Can;t see it happening as Sony and MS make their profit from software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

keelanj69 wrote: »
    So I've heard stories about the likes of CoD and BF4 that if you buy the current gen version you can upgrade to next gen for a fee.

Is there any chance this would facilitate any deserters of Xbox for next gen? I would buy BF on xbox360 and upgrade it to ps4 if I could. Seems like a solid idea for people, like myself, who are crossing over.

Of course I could just wait but I only preordered ps4 today so I can expect it around Christmas 2016.

Afaik its not free for ps3-ps4, just discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

COD is a tenner upgrade if bought on ps3/360, its Activision who are doing it not Sony/Msft

Only game i would be interested in doing this with is GTA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Activision doing something innovative and cheap to keep people happy, this is a bigger news story than either new console launch :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Battlefield 4 Premium will transfer for free but I don't know about a discount for the base game. And it will only transfer within company ie PS3->PS4 or 360 -> One.

SAme with Fifa Ultimate team so you can start playing on PS3 and then upgrade to PS4 and play with the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And it's only within a certain time frame if i remember correctly, ie: a week after launch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You have to buy the current gen version as a digital download, which allows you to get 50% off (though it depends on the publisher) the next gen version, also as digital download

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭thegame983

Honestly. if you're buying a next gen console this calender year why would you bother getting these games for the PS3/ 360?

Most of these games and consoles are coming out at the same time so just get the better versions. If you're waiting until next year fine, but you're hardly gonna be able to upgrade these games a year from now?

Activision probably think alot of their customer will get COD in November, then get a new console for XMAS so they are just trying to ease their fears. Also if you just get a digital copy and have to trade in a physical one - profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

dreamers75 wrote: »
    COD is a tenner upgrade if bought on ps3/360, its Activision who are doing it not Sony/Msft

Only game i would be interested in doing this with is GTA :)

Have Rockstar announced GTA on PS4/X1?
    thegame983 wrote: »
    Honestly. if you're buying a next gen console this calender year why would you bother getting these games for the PS3/ 360?

Well this is anecdotal but in my experience, most people who play the likes of COD or FIFA like to spend most of their game time playing online with their friends. They already have a lot of friends who own PS3/360 whereas no matter what happens, they will know, at best, a handful of people who will get the latest console at launch (~80m units sold of old consoles vs ~2-3m of new console isn't a great ration) so it makes sense to want a multiplayer-based game on an older console for now at least.

Advertisement