Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Guardian Schemes

Options
  • 02-09-2013 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Has anyone actually tried and tested one of these? There was an article in the Guardian again at the weekend; I know that you cannot be guaranteed any length of time in a property but you are given two weeks notice to move out; obviously that isnt for everyone but it seems like a decent way to save money short term...

Any advice on it?

Edit: Article: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/sep/01/high-rent-cheap-accommodation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A few friends of mine did and they were delighted. They had a massive room in Muswell Hill for a p*ss-cheap rent. Some of the locations you can get are fantastic but as it says above; you aren't guaranteed any sort of tenure at all. It's a good option for a flexible, single person. However, you will also have to buy your own bed, furniture and they also make you pay for a fire extinguisher. There is usually a "head tenant" who lives in the building and he/she will organise cleaning rotas etc. You are usually expected to aid in cleaning common areas such as the kitchen. There is also the possibility you will end up in a gaff with ridiculous amounts of people sharing very small common areas. A buddy of mine lived in one gaff which was a converted nursing home and had around 40 different people living in this massive complex. Still he thought it was a grand spot only he could never get to cook a dinner for himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The guys in the Church down the road from me have been there for pretty much a year at this stage. Looks like they're getting a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hmm I have a bit of furniture alright, but I guess nothing I couldnt load into a mini van and move had I to move with two weeks notice...tempted to try it for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

When I was looking I signed up but all the places that came up were not anywhere near where I needed to be but the value seemed to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul1

I wouldnt hold out for these. I have been trying for one or two years. You rarely get called up to view a place and when you do, they're out of the area you're looking for or out of your price range :(

Gumtree is your best bet

• Advertisement
Advertisement