Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Green Cert

  • 02-09-2013 10:29am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ xCossie


    Hi everyone,

    Can someone tell me whats the best way to obtain the Green cert. I'm not living in Ireland at the moment and I was wondering is there a distant Learning course or online course or anything like that where you don't necessarily have to attend any classses? Is there any other information I need to know? would be nice to have to do some part time farming in a few years.

    Thanks lads.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ CluanBomb


    xCossie wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

    Can someone tell me whats the best way to obtain the Green cert. I'm not living in Ireland at the moment and I was wondering is there a distant Learning course or online course or anything like that where you don't necessarily have to attend any classses? Is there any other information I need to know? would be nice to have to do some part time farming in a few years.

    Thanks lads.


    They all require classes afaik but there is an online option I am beginning that myself, once you have a degree you qualify for it, it involves 150 hours of attending classes etc and remainder is distance learning.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 nashmach


    CluanBomb wrote: »
    They all require classes afaik but there is an online option I am beginning that myself, once you have a degree you qualify for it, it involves 150 hours of attending classes etc and remainder is distance learning.

    As said above, what you require is not available.

    You need to attend a certain amount of classes on specified days.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ xCossie


    thanks guys.. My problem is I'm living in Portugal for a few months and Was hoping I could do it on my own.. I wouldnt be able to attent the classes. myaby il get round to it in the future


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ Arrahshtop


    xCossie, was just researching the same here, I have a Level 8 degree in a construction related degree and was forced to emigrate to get a job after graduation in 07, and wanted to do the online Level 5 Certificate in Agriculture (120 credits) and the Level 6 Specific Purpose Certificate in Farm Administration (40 credits), I'm currently working in Western Australia, there is at least 6 lads I know in my office alone who all want to complete this course some a bit closer to the magic 35 age group then me. But the layout of the course is frustrating having to do the odd day here and there. We would be all able to get time off to go home and do 2-3weeks at the start of the 15-18month course duration and possibly the end with the rest online but this seems to be completely unavailable and an insane idea in the eyes of Teagasc, as I said I know 6 lads in one office alone so I am sure there are a lot more people I don't know of in a similar situation due to the recession at home that are out trying to make a few pound but plan to return home to take over the farm in the near future that would require this course.


  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ cw girl


    The 'online' course is not a distance learning program, I think the online reference was used because some of the material is posted online. I started the Green Cert course a couple of weeks ago. I haven't received the full timetable yet but as previous posters have mentioned the timetable to date has on average one day per month. However we haven't received all classroom dates etc. The cost was €2,100 to complete this course.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ Arrahshtop


    CW_Girl as you are completing the course then you would have gone to Teagasc website yourself and seen that it is advertised under the heading distance learning, link below, it is even called 'The Teagasc Distance Education Green Cert for Non Agricultural Award Holders'

    http://www.teagasc.ie/training/courses/dist_ed_green_cert.asp

    Now I know at the bottom it says a 12 month period on the home farm is required in the ROI and all the direct contact hours etc... etc..., having grown up on a farm for 21 years before leaving, this is rather annoying as all that life experience (And hard flipping work) counts for nothing!

    I wish you the best of luck on the course, it is just frustrating that there isn't an avenue to complete this course online through 'distance learning' with a sandwich classwork scenario of maybe 2 weeks classwork/farm walks etc... every maybe 6months rather than one/two days each month in that six month period!

    I am now tide to a scenario where I would have to take 15months off and return to Ireland and hopefully have a job to return to once I completed the course (Which is not a scenario as the money I am currently getting paid here is paying for both my house to get built and some land redevelopment, money which is hard earned a long way from my family, to return home to Ireland to be penalised when I take over the farm with tax, maybe not receiving the SFP, or the new CAP payments due to not having the course completed before 35?) or option b (which won't be available for 3 of 6 guys mentioned above soon) return at 33 or 34 and hope to get enrolled on the course and everything transferred and signed off leaving it very tight for any error!

    Again very best of luck with the course, would you be able to PM me a copy of your time table when you receive it in full if you can, I would just be interest more closely in how it is structured over the duration of the 15months.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ xCossie


    Cheers for all the replies, would be nice if they could offer a full distance learning course for people who are unable to be there or are living abroad :/


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ incalfheifers


    well lads, any change on the green cert front since these posts??? i got signed up for the young farmer scheme just before the deadline this year, payments are starting next month but i have to get the green cert done or they'll be recouped. i've no problem doing the green cert when it's part of the scheme and it's bound to be tied into other payments in the future also, but the layout is a joke. i've a degree and I'm working so I can do the distance learning one but it's not starting until September 12 months. I've called several teagasc offices and spoken to farm advisors etc... and the best anyone can tell me is that its approximately 150 hours which will be around 20 days over roughly 18 months and we could be called to do a day at any stage, 2 days this month and nothing for 3 months and then another day again and on like that! my job is ropey enough at the minute and don't know where I'll be when the whole thing is starting up. Did anyone get around it since or is there another way to do it, full-time or otherwise???


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭ Grueller


    well lads, any change on the green cert front since these posts??? i got signed up for the young farmer scheme just before the deadline this year, payments are starting next month but i have to get the green cert done or they'll be recouped. i've no problem doing the green cert when it's part of the scheme and it's bound to be tied into other payments in the future also, but the layout is a joke. i've a degree and I'm working so I can do the distance learning one but it's not starting until September 12 months. I've called several teagasc offices and spoken to farm advisors etc... and the best anyone can tell me is that its approximately 150 hours which will be around 20 days over roughly 18 months and we could be called to do a day at any stage, 2 days this month and nothing for 3 months and then another day again and on like that! my job is ropey enough at the minute and don't know where I'll be when the whole thing is starting up. Did anyone get around it since or is there another way to do it, full-time or otherwise???

    Where you located?


  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ joeyboy12345


    Just completed my "online" green cert before xmass. Just to set people straight, there is nothing "online"about this course only the name. I never once did any work "online" as the name would suggest. The only thing was they would email me out my day to attend teagasc office about a month in advance.

    It was roughly 1day per month for 15ish months and in april we had EVERY wednesday for farm skills in mount bellew. There was a good bit of projects to do and a diary to be kept on the home farm weekly. The reason u need access to a home farm is to fill this diary and one project is to do detailed accounts in the form of a profit monitor.and yes the €2100 up front!😂


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ✭✭✭ incalfheifers


    well grueller, i'm in north roscommon


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ Densey12


    Has any one any update on the green cert opening up for 2017?
    Have my name on the list for months and still have heard no update!
    I have applied for the online version!

    Also for anyone who has it done can you tell me is there a lot of work involved in it with assignments etc is the work load heavy as I am also completing ACCA Accountancy Exams at the same time!

    Many thanks!

    Denise


  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ jay gatsby


    Densey12 wrote: »
    Has any one any update on the green cert opening up for 2017?
    Have my name on the list for months and still have heard no update!
    I have applied for the online version!

    Also for anyone who has it done can you tell me is there a lot of work involved in it with assignments etc is the work load heavy as I am also completing ACCA Accountancy Exams at the same time!

    Many thanks!

    Denise

    Hi Denise, Kildalton has just completed an intake for 2017 for the online course. i assume you hadn't applied there or you'd have heard. Other parts of the country are still way behind and are only getting to those who applied in 2015 so depending on where you are you could be waiting a while.

    One day per month onsite for approx 18 months plus one full week and a couple of Saturdays for exams is the way Kildalton do it. Not much in assignments after that but you have to keep a farm diary throughout. I assume the other centres are similar


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ Densey12


    Thanks Jay! As it happens when I went home yesterday I had post offering me a place for May 2017 in Pallaskenry! I'm trilled to at least get offered a place, as I need to get this completed! Thank you for that information!

    Do you or anyone else know the details of the farm diary! Our home farm is mostly rented the only " farming" we are actually doing at present is equine as a livery! Does any one know if this will suffice for the diary?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭ mayota


    Densey12 wrote: »
    Thanks Jay! As it happens when I went home yesterday I had post offering me a place for May 2017 in Pallaskenry! I'm trilled to at least get offered a place, as I need to get this completed! Thank you for that information!

    Do you or anyone else know the details of the farm diary! Our home farm is mostly rented the only " farming" we are actually doing at present is equine as a livery! Does any one know if this will suffice for the diary?

    That'll be sound, paper doesn't refuse ink. Good luck with the course.


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ Densey12


    Thanks mayota :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ jay gatsby


    mayota wrote: »
    That'll be sound, paper doesn't refuse ink. Good luck with the course.

    So long as there is enough activity to fill out the diary a bit and that you have access to the accounts and stocking records..

    There needs to be enough going on to make it a project basically


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ Densey12


    There possibly wont be enough activity, records and all that will be no problem! But the diary could be pretty repetitive if its based on daily activities. I can chance it and see I suppose!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ Who2


    Densey12 wrote: »
    There possibly wont be enough activity, records and all that will be no problem! But the diary could be pretty repetitive if its based on daily activities. I can chance it and see I suppose!

    I walked around all the cattle to check that there were no signs of ill health. i counted all the cattle to ensure they were all there. I checked all the water drinkers to ensure they had an adequate supply of drinking water and made sure there was enough feed available for all the cattle.
    That nearly fills the first section,
    hang a few gates spread a bit of slurry and maintainance on sheds will go a long way on the next one.Remember to point out your part time and its hard to find the time and these tasks go on for a bit.

    make sure then that your herd gets every conceivable disease, infection or even just look sick to fill the other.

    it will go on and on but you just need to fill the pages, they wont read everything but they do go hard on blank sheets.


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ Densey12


    Who2 wrote: »
    I walked around all the cattle to check that there were no signs of ill health. i counted all the cattle to ensure they were all there. I checked all the water drinkers to ensure they had an adequate supply of drinking water and made sure there was enough feed available for all the cattle.
    That nearly fills the first section,
    hang a few gates spread a bit of slurry and maintainance on sheds will go a long way on the next one.Remember to point out your part time and its hard to find the time and these tasks go on for a bit.

    make sure then that your herd gets every conceivable disease, infection or even just look sick to fill the other.

    it will go on and on but you just need to fill the pages, they wont read everything but they do go hard on blank sheets.

    Thanks a million who2! I appreciate your help! I'll basically be making a lot of it up!! ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭ revoke12


    Hi Densey12,

    Im a lady myself and have applied for the part time 15-18 months Green cert commencing in Feb.
    How are you getting on in the course? Whats the work etc involved like?

    Il be working full time and taking a day off a month and travelling to do the course bit nervous but just wondering on a few things.

    Thank you!


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ Densey12


    revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi Densey12,

    Im a lady myself and have applied for the part time 15-18 months Green cert commencing in Feb.
    How are you getting on in the course? Whats the work etc involved like?

    Il be working full time and taking a day off a month and travelling to do the course bit nervous but just wondering on a few things.

    Thank you!

    Hi Revoke12,

    I'm getting on absolutely fine - I am like yourself working full time taking days off to attend.
    Some days are more interesting than others , I am from a farming background and work with farmers daily in my current job , so I would have a basic knowledge already - If you had no interest I could see how it would be a drag!
    I know others in my class find it very hard to put down the day!

    I started in June so I only have a few days done.
    I have already had the written tests on crop production.
    Little work will pass you - however I went in with the intention of getting a distinction but I know realize there will be a lot of work, to get that grade and with sitting accountancy exams and working full time , I am unsure if I will be able to give it the time required to do that!
    We have done nothing online as of yet!
    I have had no written assignment yet or practical examination but from what I have experienced so far they will be nothing to fear especially if you just want to pass!
    Any other questions feel free to ask!

    Denise :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭ revoke12


    Oh brillant delighted to hear :)
    To be honest I actually dont mind the farming backround myself we have a farm at home and dont mind giving the helping hand.
    Was just wondering on the assignments etc my brother has a huge knowledge in the ag sector so im sure he can help me with any tough assignments if there was.
    Delighted you are getting on well in it.
    Im doing the Green cert for inherticance purposes so once I pass I will be delighted.
    I will be travelling to Palliskenery applied for the course and they told me I will more than likely be starting in Feb

    Thank you for the info


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ Densey12


    revoke12 wrote: »
    Oh brillant delighted to hear :)
    To be honest I actually dont mind the farming backround myself we have a farm at home and dont mind giving the helping hand.
    Was just wondering on the assignments etc my brother has a huge knowledge in the ag sector so im sure he can help me with any tough assignments if there was.
    Delighted you are getting on well in it.
    Im doing the Green cert for inherticance purposes so once I pass I will be delighted.
    I will be travelling to Palliskenery applied for the course and they told me I will more than likely be starting in Feb

    Thank you for the info

    Very good, I am actually in Pallaskenry myself :)
    I assume it was Paddy you spoke to!!
    I may meet ya down there at some stage!!! I am due to finish in January 2019!
    So I should have a lot of it done before you begin!
    My email is [email protected]
    Feel free to contact me when you begin if I can help you with any assignments etc :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭ revoke12


    Thank you very much I ment to be starting in Feb 2018.

    Will defo contact you in the future for sure thanks so much for your help!
    Best of luck with the next few months


  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ Densey12


    revoke12 wrote: »
    Thank you very much I ment to be starting in Feb 2018.

    Will defo contact you in the future for sure thanks so much for your help!
    Best of luck with the next few months

    No problem Revoke12!
    Thanks a million!
    Talk soon! :)


Advertisement