Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

70-200mm Canon F4 Vs Sigma F2.8

Options
  • 02-09-2013 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying one of these lens. They work out basically as the same price on Amazon.

Which would you buy? Am I better off sticking with the well known brand and sacrifice the F stop or go with the Sigma and get the extra benefits?
    Let me know what you think and if anyone has had the oportunity to try both it would be great to hear your opinions.

This will be going on a Canon 60D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭scuba8

I would go with the Canon. It is one of the sharpest lenses available. I have one and use it with a 40D. I would only change it for the IS version if I had the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I should say both will be the image stabilized models.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

Is there much of a price difference in the canon f4 IS and the f2.8 non IS? the stop of light will give you the option to go with a faster shutter

Prices based off Amazon

Canon f4 Non IS: ~£480
    Canon f4 IS: ~£880

Canon f2.8 Non IS: ~£960
    Canon f2.8 IS: ~£1900

Sigma f2.8 IS: ~£840

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I have no experience with either of those two lenses but if I had to buy on or the other I'd go for the Canon. Why? Because it's a Canon that's why. Shooting any lens wide open is not going to yield the best results so the difference between f4 and f2.8 becomes of little importance in any case. Unless you absolutely just have to have the 2.8.

• Advertisement

No I don't have to have the 2.8, I was just asking opinions as the f4 and f2.8 were in the same price bracket.

Looks like I'll go with the Canon. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

I wasn't too impressed with the sigma I ended up spending a little extra on the tamron which seemed to me to hold together at the edges much better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Would you consider going 2nd hand and save yourself some money?
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_70-200/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

OP,
    it is worth checking out
    Fredmiranda
    the-digital-picture
    photozone.de
    dpreview

and others to get advice as well.
    You dont say what you want to use the lens for?

If shooting sport, then in my view I would trade IS for the extra stop. The reason for this is that you will need to shoot at 1/500 or faster anyway, so IS is of no benefit.

HOWEVER, focus speed & accuracy is critical . Most lens reviews tend to emphasise sharpness, vignetting, LOCAs etc - these are all important, but I have never seen a review which gave a benchmark on focus speed or accuracy. For sport, this is critical.

some 3rd party lenses have a reputation for not focusing as well as Original Manufacturer lenses.

My own experience is I use a canon 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS for shooting soccer, with a 40D body. The lens is a bit soft wide open, but the AF performance is superb.
    I also have sigma lenses which work well, but they are of shorter focal length so I cannot compare really.

-FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

Another vote for the Canon here, have mine a couple of weeks and the speed combined with the quality of shot plus the relatively cheap price for L lens, great all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I think the Canon photography mag was doing a compare and contrast on these lenses in their current edition. Might be a useful help..
    Can't remember which lens they said was best. Think they said the Sigma was best value?? I'll get back on later..
    I'm also thinking of investing in a 70-00mm Canon f4 non IS on second hand basis for my 40D. Scuba8 would you be willing to sell!!!!!

Advertisement