Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture pressure treatment

Options
  • 01-09-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I intend to make some garden furniture from red deal (easier to work with than than pressure treated white deal etc.), does anyone know of anywhere I could get the furniture pressure treated after I have it made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I intend to make some garden furniture from red deal (easier to work with than than pressure treated white deal etc.), does anyone know of anywhere I could get the furniture pressure treated after I have it made.

;) Pressure treating is an industrial process. I'm afraid you are unlikely to find a plant to interrupt their schedule for a DIY one off project.
    What do you find objectionable about pressure treated white deal/spruce ?
    I'd use Iroko instead of red deal and it can't cost much more anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Iroko will cost a bit more to be fair.

Plenty of places I know off that wil treat them for you but it depends what part of the country your in for them to be any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rickmoister

recipio wrote: »
    ;) Pressure treating is an industrial process. I'm afraid you are unlikely to find a plant to interrupt their schedule for a DIY one off project.
    What do you find objectionable about pressure treated white deal/spruce ?
    I'd use Iroko instead of red deal and it can't cost much more anyway ?
    It is very difficult to get a high quality finish using white deal and from time to time due to a supplier error I can buy red deal at the same price as white deal.

Iroko will cost a bit more to be fair.

Plenty of places I know off that wil treat them for you but it depends what part of the country your in for them to be any good to you.

I agree about the price of iroko, one shot to kill, I live in north Cork near the Limerick/Kerry border, I would be willing to travel could you pm the places you know of thanks inadvance

It is very difficult to get a high quality finish using white deal and from time to time due to a supplier error I can buy red deal at the same price as white deal.

Won't pressure treating put a horrible green dye into the wood and ruin the look of the red deal. ?
    A few coats of a good preservative like Sadolins will look way better imho.

• Advertisement

I use red deal because
    1. It is easier to work with than white deal.
    2. It less hassle to machine and sand it.
    3. It finishes much better.
    4. I am using Ronseal Woodland colour range to finish the furniture.

IMO I always considerd the Saddolins, Bondex etc as finishes for external hardwoods to allow them to breathe so not relly suitable for softwood.

I use red deal because
    1. It is easier to work with than white deal.
    2. It less hassle to machine and sand it.
    3. It finishes much better.
    4. I am using Ronseal Woodland colour range to finish the furniture.

IMO I always considerd the Saddolins, Bondex etc as finishes for external hardwoods to allow them to breathe so not relly suitable for softwood.

Your Dad's quote is spot on.
    I bought a garden set from a nationwide DIY store and the stuff rotted and fell apart after five years - and that was a hardwood.
    Iroko might be a little pricey but it is risk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Anything that is left outside for 5 years and no attention given to it and no maintenance. Is gonna give trouble lads.

Anything that is left outside for 5 years and no attention given to it and no maintenance. Is gonna give trouble lads.

:D I oiled it and later 'ronsealed' it -no use. Its some kind of cheap mahogany from the 'Far East' wherever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Lads you would buy larch or freshly sawn oak from a sawmill for the same money as red deal, pressure treating white deal would be throwing good money after bad for outdoor use, imho

• Advertisement
Advertisement