Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exhibiting and Selling Photos of children

Options
  • 01-09-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I was wondering about the legalities of exhibiting and selling photos of children. One image was taken of young teenagers in a public park with their permission but not the parents. The other image is of kids on Grafton St which was taken without their permission or their parents permission. Is it ok to exhibit them? Is it ok to sell them? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

If taken in a public place you can exhibit . You can't sell them without model releases signed is my understanding.
    I was wondering about the legalities of exhibiting and selling photos of children. One image was taken of young teenagers in a public park with their permission but not the parents. The other image is of kids on Grafton St which was taken without their permission or their parents permission. Is it ok to exhibit them? Is it ok to sell them? Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

bullpost wrote: »
    You can't sell them without model releases signed is my understanding.

You can sell them as limited prints.

A model release only gives you permission as laid out in that release document, but is never a requirement.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

bullpost wrote: »
    If taken in a public place you can exhibit . You can't sell them without model releases signed is my understanding.

Could you post a link to that legislation?

I wouldn't have answered the OP myself without giving a definitive answer as I guess he's looking for concrete info.

I've never come across what you say and I have looked over Irish legislation with regards to such matters. A link to it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I don't think there is a clear law in Ireland regarding the taking and use of photos. If there was a dispute it would have to be argued and settled in a court of law. What answers you will get on here are just peoples interpretation of what they perceive is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I don't think there is a clear law in Ireland regarding the taking and use of photos. If there was a dispute it would have to be argued and settled in a court of law. What answers you will get on here are just peoples interpretation of what they perceive is the law.

Taking in a public place is definierly okay. Publishing depends on whether the aformentioned people are the focal point of the photo.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Publishing depends on whether the aformentioned people are the focal point of the photo.

Not necessarily so. Can you show a link to any law where you believe this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    What answers you will get on here are just peoples interpretation of what they perceive is the law.

Indeed, if you are serious about doing something with them it may be best to speak to a solicitor to save yourself any potential problems in the future.

If you are going to speak to a solicitor, make sure it is one familiar with copyright, IP law and photography aspects. Many solicitors are poor to average on the subjects.

Also, have a browse of http://www.digitalrights.ie/2006/05/09/photographers-rights/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Taking in a public place is definierly okay. Publishing depends on whether the aformentioned people are the focal point of the photo.

Irish legislation is very googleable and I can't for the life of me find where this is stated. Can you please provide a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Thanks for the replies. It looks like there may be no definite answers to be had, especially in regards to children. I'll try to find out via a solicitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement