Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power kiting around Dublin

Options
  • 01-09-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hey!

I've just moved to Dublin and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of good places to fly a power kite in/around Dublin? It's only a 3m, so not massive, but would obviously still like to be clear of any trees :)

Would also love to hear from any other kiters nearby...

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Phoneix park is good, the far end of dollymount is good for power kitres. Kitesurfers have an area of beach at the city side but its only for launching and landing. Sandy mount strand is great but you do get filty there

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

Great, thanks for the info Ted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Is it landboarding or buggying you're into? I'm from Carlow, so sometimes head to The Curragh in Kildare. It's the best spot for kiting inland.

Well, I have a board (got it cheap off eBay a couple of years ago) but I'm pretty shocking at it. Would like to have another crack though, esp if someone can show me the ropes :) Don't have a car at the moment though so would be a bit tricky getting out to Kildare. Which do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Haha, I do a bit of landboarding and was like that for a while but I eventually got the hang of it.
    I started out with a 3m then a 4.5 and eventually a 7.5 depower on a bar. The depowable is a lot easier to fly that the smaller ones.
    When I first started I used to get dragged off the board or chicken out whenever I'd get any kind of speed but eventually I got the hang of it.
    I found when kiting with handles to keep them held low down and to lean back against the force for better control.

At the moment I'm trying to get into kitesurfing on water but it's unfortunate that I live so far inland. Lol.

• Advertisement

Yeh man that must be a bit of a pain... I'm just on a little Peter Lynn hornet at the moment. Only 3m so it's fairly stable (pretty easy to fly kite anyway) and pretty smooth for boarding. Would love a go on something a bit bigger though. Will let you know when I get a car sorted out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Whereabouts in Co. Dublin are you?

Hi mate I'm in Templeogue, South Dublin...

Advertisement