Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and Installing 8GB SSD-Need help

Options
  • 01-09-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I got a PC a while back and would like to install an 8GB SSD to hold my OS (either Win7 or Win8). I have a few questions.
    Where in Ireland (online or in-store) can I buy one?
    I currently have a 1TB HDD with Windows 7 installed, am I able to uninstall Windows 7 and keep all my files (downloads, .txt documents, programs, games etc.) on it, so that when I install the new OS on the SSD I can still access them?
    Hope I get a quick reply. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

I think you mean a 32Gb or 64Gb SSD? I don't think you can get 8Gb SSD's and I think 8 gigs would be too small to hold Windows 7 or 8.

You can get SSDs from Dabs.ie, a Crucial M4 64Gb SSD is about €70.

You don't have to buy from an Irish site. UK and European sites offer a broader selection of components and they usually work out cheaper, even with shipping costs. I personally get most of my stuff from Scan.co.uk and OcUK. (Shipping usually takes only 2 days.)

You can just install windows on your SSD without formatting your HDD. The original windows directory will still be there on the HDD, with all your data. Although I'd say it would be a better idea to just save all your data to an external drive and format the HDD anyway to prevent any conflicts with windows system files.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TGxMister

You can get 8GB SSD's, I've seen them before but only on American websites, and P&P is too high in that situation.
    Also Windows 8 is only 4GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

TGxMister wrote: »
    You can get 8GB SSD's, I've seen them before but only on American websites, and P&P is too high in that situation.
    Also Windows 8 is only 4GB.

The installation files of Windows 8 may be only about 4Gb, but the actual size after installation is about 20Gb.

Also those SSDs you saw are probably old tech. Nowadays SSDs usually start at 32Gb or 64Gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

From what I can see from a quick google search the discussion seems to be "I have an 8gb SSD, what can I actually do with it?".

Sorry I didn't realise what. Where would you recommend buying a 32GB SSD? I would need it fairly cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

TGxMister wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't realise what. Where would you recommend buying a 32GB SSD? I would need it fairly cheap.

I wouldn't recommend one to be honest. 64GB minimum, 128 ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

segasega wrote: »

Its a pity you can't buy that size SSD directly from Crucial as they have free delivery but the smallest size they stock is 120GB

If I uninstall Windows from the hard drive, will all my files on my desktop, my documents, songs and games all still be accesible by the SSD? Would they even still exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

What do you mean by uninstalling windows? If you don't format it, just delete windows folder, obviously files will still be there and accessible. Formatting is what erases whole hard drive.

I've got 60GB SSD and have moved most of files except for windows folder to an external HDD. Just look up some tweaks online on how to move folders properly and save some space.

This is how far I've stripped down mine (windows 7)
    hddtrim.jpg

This should give you some ideas and answers, good luck. I would strongly suggest going with 120GB SSD at least, this kind of tweaking for space and speed can take up quite a lot of time for someone new to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

+1 on the 120GB SSD

When I got my machine going all I had at first was the SSD, then I added the HDD and transferred all my files from SSD to HDD bar the OS.

Was fairly simple to do after a couple of google searches just to be sure.

Advertisement