Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total War: Rome II

Options
  • 01-09-2013 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Its out 8AM on Tuesday,anybody else getting it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have it pre-loaded :D

Big thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056921012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

danthefan wrote: »
    Have it pre-loaded :D

Big thread on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056921012

Cheers,searched rome 2 but nothing came up as recent:o

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Cheers,searched rome 2 but nothing came up as recent:o

Yeah it's actually on a different board, the Strategy board.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would love to get this, but it'd destroy my laptop.

Kiith wrote: »
    Would love to get this, but it'd destroy my laptop.

Were you able to run Shogun II? Because apparently they have similar minimum requirements. You might find you'd be able to play it on low settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am on the fence with this. I REALLY want to get in to Total war games, but I never get far in to them. I redownloaded Shogun 2 and it was the most I ever played it. Few battles on campaign map.

Rome might be a lot better due to the timeline, but I am afraid of spending a full price on it and not play it.

I am on the fence with this. I REALLY want to get in to Total war games, but I never get far in to them. I redownloaded Shogun 2 and it was the most I ever played it. Few battles on campaign map.

Rome might be a lot better due to the timeline, but I am afraid of spending a full price on it and not play it.

I'm sure you know well that in 12 months time it's going to be half the price it is now. Worth it full price for me, if you're not sure maybe better to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Wont touch it for a few months. Will let all the bugs and teething issues get sorted first. I havent really gotten into a TW game since Rome 1. Its the ancient setting I love, so I think I will be at home in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

After empire I told myself I would never buy a total war game on release again, but I loved shogun2.
    I have rome II pre-loaded and ready to go :D
    love the ancient roman setting/timeline

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I still hanker for Medieval Total War.
    A simpler game that could be finished in 2-3 sessions.

Really liked Rome, but found Empire too long. Original Medieval suited the casual 2-3 times a week gamer.... anyone got tips on a way to play it on Windows 7?

Shogun II recommended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Medieval was great. Remember that TV show they used the engine for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

.ak wrote: »
    Medieval was great. Remember that TV show they used the engine for?

They used the original Rome engine for two TV shows on discovery, one was called "great battles" the other was called "commanders" or something similar. I remember classics teacher in school using the battle of canai (spelling may be off it was a while ago) episode of it to teach us about Hannibal's tactics. Was class.

Edit: "decisive battles" and "time commanders"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Tenger wrote: »
    I still hanker for Medieval Total War.
    A simpler game that could be finished in 2-3 sessions.

Really liked Rome, but found Empire too long. Original Medieval suited the casual 2-3 times a week gamer.... anyone got tips on a way to play it on Windows 7?

Shogun II recommended?

I started with Shogun II so I can't give you my own views on how they compare but generally Rome 1 fans biggest gripe is the lack of units. Because everyone in Japan at the time had access to the same tech they use the same units. I bought and tried Rome 1 a few weeks back but just couldn't get into it,probably because of the graphics.

For me it wasn't a problem and I've logged alot of hours,the campaign can get a bit stale after you finish one but the MP is pretty good and is still fairly active,although I'm sure it will take a downturn with R2's release.

Oh and review embargo's are lifted at 4.30pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Been playing a lot of Medieval Total War 2 lately, so will be getting this at some point soon, friend has a similar laptop as mine and want to see how good it runs on that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

errlloyd wrote: »
    They used the original Rome engine for two TV shows on discovery, one was called "great battles" the other was called "commanders" or something similar. I remember classics teacher in school using the battle of canai (spelling may be off it was a while ago) episode of it to teach us about Hannibal's tactics. Was class.

Edit: "decisive battles" and "time commanders"

Yeah this program was on C4 or something, and it pitched teams against a 'computer' (some dude who plays the game 24/7) and they try and re-create historic battles. Was really cool, especially if the team got it right, you get the buzz of satisfaction they got from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

S O O N

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah this program was on C4 or something, and it pitched teams against a 'computer' (some dude who plays the game 24/7) and they try and re-create historic battles. Was really cool, especially if the team got it right, you get the buzz of satisfaction they got from it.

i remember watching that show as well, you learned about history while getting your gamer fix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Used to like Time Commanders too. Think it was on TV well in advance of Rome 1 coming out. Was great to think about being able to control your own massive 3d battles.

A side note on that show, that Nusbacher guy who was one of the lecturers on most of the programmes has since had a sex change op and is now known as Lynette!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Richard Hammond presented it? I don't remember him in that at all.

Might watch the rest of that before the 8am launch in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am watching Rome 2 stream on twitch and one thing that is already annoying me to ****: Unit bar takes more then 1/3 of a screen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Preloaded the game yesterday and now have to wait 30 minutes as it does whatever it's pretending to do before it'll start. :( I've waited long enough, damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I've been hearing from a lot of people that the game was released with a host of bugs that in some cases is making it unplayable!

I haven't got it yet myself, just wondering how people are getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I've been hearing from a lot of people that the game was released with a host of bugs that in some cases is making it unplayable!

havnt got it myself, waiting for the new patchs to come in
    also aparently from my mate, he said the AI is stupid, and nothing like it was in rome total war

yano the way their is capture points in cities? if you playing vs the ai and your defending, all the ai will see is the capture points and not your army, so all they do is rush in trying to capture it running through your army without even attacking you

Bad ai :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I ran into one game breaking bug whereby the game would not launch, but re-downloading a few files on Steam fixed that. Other than that it has been fine for me bar the odd crash here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm not so much annoyed about the bugs (which can and will be remedied fairly easily), but the terrible game design decisions. The user interface is fairly horrible. A few examples: They cram the unit cards into a small horizontal section which then takes up more vertical space while leaving tons of space free and unused at the sides, making it ugly and non-functional. When you try to move units between large armies it crops off 75% of the unit card so you can barely even see what type of unit something is, let alone their experience level.

You frequently get things popping up along the lines of "This guy has gained this trait!" or "This guy now has this thing, should he use it or use something else?", and at no point is there a button to actually go to see the guy, you have to X out of it and go searching for him manually.

Similarly, it will say "Wait, you need to level up X" at the end of a turn, where X is a guy that could be any one of your generals, or any one of a number of agents, and the only way to find him is to click through everything one by one.

The faction system barely makes any sense, or even functions at all. Nothing really happens with it and you're never really told what the hell any of it means or why you should care about any of it. You can only marry your generals if someone else offers it and that never happens. You can adopt guys but why bother? Your guys can get adopted by others, and you can block it by spending loads of money...but fcked if I have any idea why I'd bother doing that. You can assassinate and promote people but there's very little apparent reason to bother doing either.

The AI is pretty terrible. They will flee their armies from yours when you attack their only city, only for them to go into suicide berserker mode after you easily capture it from them. Naval battles are horrible. Generals still charge meaninglessly to their deaths in fights, and whole armies will run in circles chasing after a single cavalry unit that they will never, ever catch. The siege AI is as broken as ever. They added a victory point to some of the battles, and you have to capture or defend that arbitrary point for no reason, even if it means suicide charging units over to it - which the AI does frequently.

AI turns take a million years on any hardware on the campaign map. The diplomacy is barely functional; the AI has utter contempt for the player and frequently refuses deals for no reason even to the point where it will result in their certain doom. They will make demands based on how much you have in your treasury, not how much they need or how much something is worth.

The food/squalor system is an awful, nannying process where a whole bunch of top level buildings are counter-productive to build.

It's a bad game. There, I said it. I miss Rome 1, Rome 2 is a bad game, and most of the ways in which it is bad are deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm not so much annoyed about the bugs (which can and will be remedied fairly easily), but the terrible game design decisions. The user interface is fairly horrible. A few examples: They cram the unit cards into a small horizontal section which then takes up more vertical space while leaving tons of space free and unused at the sides, making it ugly and non-functional. When you try to move units between large armies it crops off 75% of the unit card so you can barely even see what type of unit something is, let alone their experience level.

You frequently get things popping up along the lines of "This guy has gained this trait!" or "This guy now has this thing, should he use it or use something else?", and at no point is there a button to actually go to see the guy, you have to X out of it and go searching for him manually.

Similarly, it will say "Wait, you need to level up X" at the end of a turn, where X is a guy that could be any one of your generals, or any one of a number of agents, and the only way to find him is to click through everything one by one.

The faction system barely makes any sense, or even functions at all. Nothing really happens with it and you're never really told what the hell any of it means or why you should care about any of it. You can only marry your generals if someone else offers it and that never happens. You can adopt guys but why bother? Your guys can get adopted by others, and you can block it by spending loads of money...but fcked if I have any idea why I'd bother doing that. You can assassinate and promote people but there's very little apparent reason to bother doing either.

The AI is pretty terrible. They will flee their armies from yours when you attack their only city, only for them to go into suicide berserker mode after you easily capture it from them. Naval battles are horrible. Generals still charge meaninglessly to their deaths in fights, and whole armies will run in circles chasing after a single cavalry unit that they will never, ever catch. The siege AI is as broken as ever. They added a victory point to some of the battles, and you have to capture or defend that arbitrary point for no reason, even if it means suicide charging units over to it - which the AI does frequently.

AI turns take a million years on any hardware on the campaign map. The diplomacy is barely functional; the AI has utter contempt for the player and frequently refuses deals for no reason even to the point where it will result in their certain doom. They will make demands based on how much you have in your treasury, not how much they need or how much something is worth.

The food/squalor system is an awful, nannying process where a whole bunch of top level buildings are counter-productive to build.

It's a bad game. There, I said it. I miss Rome 1, Rome 2 is a bad game, and most of the ways in which it is bad are deliberate.

There's nothing there I disagree with, however my favourite in the series, Med II, was just not the game it could be when playing without mods. So many units didn't work correctly in vanilla, such as crossbowmen not using their shields for cover whilst reloading and similar, that mods fixed. CA are usually one of the better developers for giving good access to the game for modders, so I think in a few months between official patches and modders efforts we'll have a far superior game.

Oh, and I'll repeat myself from another thread, if you were expecting a smooth experience at launch you weren't a TW vet. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

beta patch 3 is up on steam if you're willing to test it. I have, and it's an improvement. The ai in some battles are/is smarter, but in others (sieges in my case) still dumb/buggy. The wait time for enemy turns has been improved again, noticeable this time for me, dropped from 3 minutes wait after patch 2 to around 1 minute, which is acceptable imo.

Anyways, ye can have a gander at the patchnotes and see for yourself

Advertisement