Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't bother with PC World Currys in Blanch

Options
  • 01-09-2013 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We were all set to purchase a new IMac desktop, DVD writer, excel home and business programme, blank cds after a lot of bartering the salesman down which was really quite exasperating considering the cost and him throwing in a few free security bits which we didn't need as it's not windows, we agreed a price.... Over to the till credit card at the ready, he changes the AGREED price by 50e suddenly and expects to complete the sale??? further discussion he drops to 35e above the AGREED price and then refused to budge! Ridiculous and extremely BAD WAY TO DO BUINESS. We popped over to Harvey Norman and got everything for cheaper and without the stress. I won't return to PC World unless its to help out with staff training!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Why do you think you don't need security on something that does not use Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shali

I certainly don't require Norton for an IMac!!

I've dealt with customers who have had credit card details stolen as they assumed you can't get viruses on a mac, I've seen several actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That's more of a problem with mixed communication between you and the sales rep rather than the entire staff at that branch.

I wouldn't be surprised if he agreed to knock too much off the price until he copped it at the till. Margins are not that big at all for hardware and software like Microsoft Office so you really can't expect to get much off the asking price.

I assume you made a complaint?
    Shali wrote:
    throwing in a few free security bits which we didn't need as it's not windows

That's a common myth thrown about, they still get viruses. Macs certainly don't get as much attacks as Windows but you should never be unprotected, regardless of what platform you're using. You're leaving yourself wide open otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Shali wrote: »
    I certainly don't require Norton for an IMac!!

No you don't when there are free options out there. PC world sold my neighbour Norton security and some storage backup package for a tablet. I had her take it back after putting Lookout, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout and making use of Google's own storage. Both were free.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    I've dealt with customers who have had credit card details stolen as they assumed you can't get viruses on a mac, I've seen several actually.

I doubt it was a "Virus" that caused them to get stolen. It was more likely they were using the same login password over many websites and one of those got hacked. Or, they fell for an email scam. Virus's are less of a problem these days. It's malware that you really need to watch out for.

I doubt it was a "Virus" that caused them to get stolen. It was more likely they were using the same login password over many websites and one of those got hacked. Or, they fell for an email scam. Virus's are less of a problem these days. It's malware that you really need to watch out for.

I use virus out of habit because if you say malware removal to a customer they will get confused, if you say virus they think they understand. The general population think anything that could ever go wrong with your computer is a virus. If you look at the top 10 computer support places in Ireland they all advertise virus removal, none advertise malware removal because people cant grasp that concept.

As far as I'm aware it was some form of keylogger rather than a phishing website. Found a few other infections on the same machine too. Over 4 years I have seen 3 Macs with malware and each was pretty nasty.

GarIT wrote: »
    I use virus out of habit because if you say malware removal to a customer they will get confused, if you say virus they think they understand. The general population think anything that could ever go wrong with your computer is a virus. If you look at the top 10 computer support places in Ireland they all advertise virus removal, none advertise malware removal because people cant grasp that concept.

As far as I'm aware it was some form of keylogger rather than a phishing website. Found a few other infections on the same machine too. Over 4 years I have seen 3 Macs with malware and each was pretty nasty.

Lol, and I bet they had never done a software update ever. The problem is people think by installing security software they are safe and that's all that needed. It's only part of it. I've got a pain in my head from telling this to my relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

some folk would say "norton" is a virus in its own right.
    yearly subscription for an anti virus?
    yearly sub for cloud storage?
    top drawer price for office, which they are also pushing as a yearly sub.

overly aggressive sales in currys , tell them you only want the laptop and no addons and they will walk away from you ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Macs certainly do get viruses "malware" which is the same type that PCs also get these days. Even using Mac OS you need to be careful surfing the internet, keep OSX and Java/Flash etc. plugins up to date and also be conscious not to open attachments you are not sure of. I think Apple includes it's own security suite in OSX but there is no harm in installing a free third party solution either. I wouldn't bother buying a AV suite on any platform, but some may provide other useful functionality like family safety controls etc.
    I don't know that many people who use Macs, but two of them I know got the malware "fake virus scanner" and it wasn't that easy to remove either. So definitely you need to be careful using any computer on the internet, be it Mac or Windows and staying away from "dodgy" websites is not a bad idea either as these are sometimes loaded with dodgy stuff (torrents, movie/sports streaming etc.) ;)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, you should probably just have spoken to the manager at the shop instead of fuming and getting on the net to vent. Usually things are better sorted in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shali

"OP, you should probably just have spoken to the manager at the shop instead of fuming and getting on the net to vent. Usually things are better sorted in person"

The situation was sorted when I popped the cc back in my bag and left... Anyhooooo I have learnt some good stuff from this post regarding anti virus and malware

Actually... Can anyone help me with transferring Outlook Express from a laptop which has given up the ghost to a Mac... I have the outlook express programme for the Mac bought now and a fully fledged Outlook, emails, distribution lists, contacts etc so I need to transfer and access on the Mac... Thanks in advance

Advertisement