Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wool spinning wheel

Options
  • 31-08-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all been looking and can't find any plans for a spinning wheel i realy want to make one as an xmas present for herself as she loves knitting and knows how to spin and i also like to make or design my presents even a class around limerick that might do this sort of thing if it even exists i'm looking for one like this cheers for any info Phil

Spinning_wheel.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

thanks but looking for one similar to the pic thanks anyways

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I have plans here for one almost the exact same as the one in your photo

woodturner wrote: »
    I have plans here for one almost the exact same as the one in your photo

Can I get a photo copy if them by any chance or a pdf of them or something please I'll happily pay postage for them cheers Phil'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

My wife spins and technically afaik that is a "flax" spinning wheel, it will spin wool but someone that knows how to spin would often prefer one with a bit more control over the speeds. The bit of string at the back would normally be a wooden rod.

You really need to learn to use a spinning wheel to understand how they work. You could make a great looking wheel but it might not be what someone actually wants to use.

For a beginer with no one to help show them how to work it a single banded scotch tension wheel is possibly better.

This for example (recommended, but todays prices are mad)

Louet%20S-10.gif

but obviously not want you want to hear.

And don't forget you need more than one bobbin for plying, 2 ply wool needs 3 bobbins and 3 ply 4 + a lazy kate (can be finely crafted or a shoe box and a couple of knitting needles).

And for a knitter that's into chunky wool and fancy yarns then a Jumbo Flyer is another useful gadget. The old wheel in the picture isn't really what an ambitious spinner with a bit of flare would be going for.

thanks for the reply i dont no how to spin she does i'm kinda looking to make her a functional but also traditional looking one

• Registered Users Posts: 29 liamofT

You might try David Bryants designs at http://www.craftdesigns.co.uk/index.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fergal.b wrote: »
    The "hands" TV program had one building a spinning wheel might be worth a look http://www.irelandstraditionalcrafts.com/wheelfilm.html
    james's son johnny is still running the shop, so if you find yourself up that end of the country, you could possibly drop in:

http://www.spinningwheels.ie

Advertisement