Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine recommendations

Options
  • 31-08-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm in Dublin for a few weeks and will be visiting a good few friends, a lot of the catch ups are now based in peoples houses rather than nights out on the lash, so was hoping to get a few drops for catch ups.
    In the time I have left Ireland I have started to appreciate good wine.
    So I'm hoping for some recommendations on bottles I can buy easily enough, I'm based in Australia, so ideally no Australian. ;)
    I'll be in and around Dublin for most part. I don't really have a budget but ideally < 20E and hopefully can pick up some thing I can bring back to Aus for a nice occasion again ideally < 30E
    Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Jaysus, where do we even start...

White/red
    Fruity or not?
    with food or not
    acidity?
    alcohol content?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

hussey wrote: »
    I don't really have a budget but ideally < 20E and hopefully can pick up some thing I can bring back to Aus for a nice occasion again ideally < 30E
    Cheers

With the high rates of excise and VAT (tax) in Ireland, you'd need your head examined lugging a bottle of wine halfway around the world if it cost less than €30 here. Most of the retail price in Ireland is tax so don't kid yourself that €20-30 will buy a bottle that's worth bringing back to Oz.

If it's economic for Australian and NZ wine producers to export their wine to Europe then it's also economic for European wine producers to send their good wine to Oz. Save your money and buy a decent bottle when you go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Caonima wrote: »
    Jaysus, where do we even start...

White/red
    Fruity or not?
    with food or not
    acidity?
    alcohol content?
    Of course! Doh,
    I would say I would drink 2 bottles of red for every 1 white.
    Yes with food, I drink a range of red styles from light Pinot noir - full bodied Shiraz. It's more about trying new styles or ranges I cannot get in Oz. white style would be be dry white

Good point about the Vat, my mind must not be working with jet lag. So scrap the idea for bringing home a bottle.

Advertisement