Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nymphomaniac (Lars von Trier)

Options
  • 31-08-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭

Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac is scheduled for release on Christmas Day in his native Denmark. Which says something about his sense of humour, I suppose. So far he's released three rather unsettling teaser snippets:

These are not particularly NSFW, but you probably don't want to have to explain them to your kids ... :o
    edit: the preview images on those clips show scenes that aren't actually in those clips.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The whole 4 hours is being played in different cinemas on the 22nd with a live Q&A. Just a heads up if you're prepared for a lengthy Von Trier onslaught. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was disappointed initially when I found out that was on right in the middle of JDIFF (on Touch of Sin night and all!) but the pair of films are apparently out the following Friday anyway, so all is good :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was at a screening of part one this morning. Can't really judge it until I see part two next week, but it is intriguing, ridiculous, funny, moving and overwrought so far. Some of it is genuinely brilliant (the Uma Thurman chapter is an hilariously twisted gem), some of it woefully misguided (enough with the forced metaphors!). But it's distinctive and interesting, and I'm certainly keen for part two.

Shame it has been split though. The film just stops in the middle as opposed to having been purposefully designed with the divide in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Was at a screening of part one this morning. Can't really judge it until I see part two next week, but it is intriguing, ridiculous, funny, moving and overwrought so far. Some of it is genuinely brilliant (the Uma Thurman chapter is an hilariously twisted gem), some of it woefully misguided (enough with the forced metaphors!). But it's distinctive and interesting, and I'm certainly keen for part two.

Shame it has been split though. The film just stops in the middle as opposed to having been purposefully designed with the divide in mind.

How does it stack up the other LVT material, Johnny?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    How does it stack up the other LVT material, Johnny?

I don't like to presuppose other people's responses, but I can't imagine anyone who has a strong opinion about LVT one way or the other finding much to challenge their stance here :)

Again, I feel I can only give an incomplete answer at the moment, but so far I've preferred it to Antichrist and Melancholia, but a tad too uneven and over-indulgent to rank it up there with what is IMO his best work (Breaking the Waves, Manderlay etc...). The one thing I would say is that the man rarely makes a dull film, and that as ever is the case here. And there's some absolutely superb sequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Bump to say, parts 1&2 now on Netflix Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Bump to say, parts 1&2 now on Netflix Ireland.

Its been on Volta.ie for at least 6 months.

Advertisement