Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etrian Odyssey IV

Options
  • 31-08-2013 12:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else picked this up? I got mine from the US months ago but still need to get through 2 and 3 first. Apparently the european release is selling out very quickly.

For anyone that doesn't know what the game is it's a modern take on old school dungeon crawlers like Wizardry or Might and Magic. In most of those games you had to map the game out on graph paper. Etrian Odyssey however uses the bottom touch screen as virtual graph paper. The other big difference are FOE's, enemies you can see on the screen and move about the map. They will move once for every step the player makes or every round of combat the player fights. You have to be careful of these guys otherwise they will jump into a battle you are trying to fight. It's best to avoid these guys until later.

I've only played the first game in the series but I can say it was one of the best games I've ever played. EOIV apparently is the best yet and also far more accessible than the rest of the series. It also has a casual mode which means if you die you don't lose any progress, just warped back to the inn (I won't be using this, hardcore for life yo!). Also one of the best things about this series is the stunning soundtracks by Yuzo Koshiro who people might remember from composing the Streets of Rage soundtracks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For anyone that doesn't know what the game is it's a modern take on old school dungeon crawlers like Wizardry or Might and Magic. In most of those games you had to map the game out on graph paper. Etrian Odyssey however uses the bottom touch screen as virtual graph paper.

Oh that's a cool feature. Will definitely pick this up (once I have time to play it:(). Would love to see a traditional tabletop-style RPG on the Wii U, with dungeon master on the gamepad...obvious idea, but probably will never happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah they tried something similar in ZombiU multiplayer and it worked wonderfully. Wish other developers would pick up on it!

Advertisement