Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious Census 1766

Options
  • 31-08-2013 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for Galbally & Anglesboro returns in Co. Limerick. Looking at the NAI website below, part of Galbally is included in Clonbeg and Duntryleague could include the rest of it. Does anybody know which parish Anglesboro was belonging to back then?

Thanks,
    http://www.nationalarchives.ie/PDF/ReligiousCensus.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The civil parish for Gallbally town and townland is Gallbally, and there are either two townlands in Co. Limerick named Anglesborough, or one split across a parish boundary - civil parishes being Gallbally and Kilbeheny. (think the 2nd option more likely, as they are neighbouring parishes)

All the above in the Barony of Coshlea, PLU of Mitchelstown.

Besides Gallbally c.p., the other civil parishes included in the CofI parish union of Duntrilegue/Duntryleague seem to be Ballinlondry/Ballinlanders and Kilbehenny/Kilbenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks, Shane.

In that case, Anglesboro(ugh) is probably included in the Duntryleague 1766 Census.

on the 1659 "census", the parishes listed for the Barony of Coshlea/Costlea are :

'Ballingarvey & Lavaghla', Ballinlondry, Ballyneskaddane, 'Done & Long', Kilquan, Effin (part of), Gallbally, Kilfinane, Kilbridie, Athenesie and Ballygaddy.

Galbally townland is listed under the parish of the same name, with one name 'William Hughs Gent' [sic]. No entry that mentions Anglesborough that I can see, but the Galbally parish entry notes that it
    includes 'two pt lands of Kilbeheny'

Shane,

I assume no other names are listed apart from Mr. Hughes in this 1659 Census. I thought that Baron Hugh Massey was already the big landlord by then.

'Ballingarvey & Lavaghla', Ballinlondry, Ballyneskaddane, 'Done & Long', Kilquan, Effin (part of), Gallbally, Kilfinane, Kilbridie, Athenesie and Ballygaddy

Ballingarry, Ballylanders, Knocklong, Kilbreedy, Athenesy, Ballingaddy perhaps. Interesting to see these parish names spelled so differently back then.

To get from Galbally to Kilbehenny back then was practically a treck over the Galtees. One of my cousins died in Galbally but wanted to be buried in Kilbehenny with his father and apparently took 2 days to get there!! Maybe with many stops along the way.:)

Mr. Hughs is the only entry for Galbally townland. The names column is actually captioned 'Tituladoes', and others listed for Galbally civil parish are (townland - name):
    Galbally - William Hughs
    Killinan - John Ward, gent
    Corbally - John Petford, gent
    Bohercarrin - Edward Moore, gent
    Lisardconnell - William Baraby, gent
    Ballybooba - [no name]
    Milstowne - [no name]
    Duntreleage - Hugh Massey Esqr. & Richd Huthings, gent
    Lakadary - John John McCragh & Phillip McGragh, gents
    CastleKrea - Robert Cooke & Nicholas Clarke, gent
    Corragharosty - Thomas Loyd, gent
    Ballynemoddagh - [no name]
    Barnnegurreghy - [no name]
    Ballylisheene - [no name]

Among the many 'Irish' listed (surname and numbers only) are : Ó Brine & McBrine, Hiffernane, Ó Hogan, MacCraith, Bourke, Gibbon/FitzGibbon, Casy etc

• Advertisement

from the Down survey Landowners :
    Townland of DUNTRYLEAGUE
    Down Survey Name: Downeterleagoe
    1641 Owner(s): Cantwell, John (Protestant)
    1670 Owner(s): Massey, Hugh (Protestant)
    County: Limerick
    Barony: Costlea
    Parish: Galbally
    Profitable land: 193 plantation acres
    Forfeited: 193 plantation acres
    1659 Census
    Total: 52
    English: 43
    Irish: 9
    Titulado: Hugh Massy, Richard Huthings

and the entry for Galbally townland/town :
    Townland of GALBALLY
    Down Survey Name: Galbally
    1641 Owner(s): Cantwell, John (Protestant)
    1670 Owner(s): George, Sir Oliver St (Catholic)
    County: Limerick
    Barony: Costlea
    Parish: Galbally
    Profitable land: 87 plantation acres
    Forfeited: 87 plantation acres
    1659 Census
    Total: 163
    English: 149
    Irish: 14
    Titulado: William Hughs

p.s. here are the two Anglesborough townlands on the 1st Ed. OSI map - green line is the parish boundary. The northern one, i.e. Galbally c.p., has a building marked 'Massy Lodge' that might be connected to that Hugh. A Lord Massy is shown owning property in the townland on Griffiths.

shanew wrote: »
    Mr. Hughs is the only entry for Galbally townland. The names column is actually captioned 'Tituladoes', and others listed for Galbally civil parish are (townland - name):

Among the many 'Irish' listed (surname and numbers only) are : Ó Brine & McBrine, Hiffernane, Ó Hogan, MacCraith, Bourke, Gibbon/FitzGibbon, Casy etc

Thanks for this. Is this census on line?

from the Down survey Landowners :

p.s. here are the two Anglesborough townlands on the 1st Ed. OSI map - green line is the parish boundary. The northern one, i.e. Galbally c.p., has a building marked 'Massy Lodge' that might be connected to that Hugh. A Lord Massy is shown owning property in the townland on Griffiths.

I had forgotten about the Down Survey website. Even though there appears to be some errors ie. some townlands of Emly parish are shown in the Barony of Iffa & Offa instead of Clanwilliam.

Yes, Massey Lodge was regarded as the summer residence of the Massey Family.

Thank you for all your help.

montgo wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Is this census on line?

Other than being included in the TCD/Down survey data, I think sections are, but most seem to be for parts of a county and not complete transcriptions. There's a fairly good copy here, but it is missing some data - e.g. some Baronies, format is altered a little, a sometimes does not include names of parishes and the numbers of occupants in each townland. (which is also broken down by 'English' and 'Irish')

Changes in boundaries would not be surprising if that's the case here, similar differences even show up between Griffiths and the Tithes - e.g. where some townlands appear are listed in different civil parishes.

edit - not sure exactly where Emly c.p. is located within the barony, but part of Clanwilliam barony (the Tipperary one) does have a border with the barony 'Offa and Offa West'

Other than being included in the TCD/Down survey data, I think sections are, but most seem to be for parts of a county and not complete transcriptions. There's a fairly good copy here, but it is missing some data - e.g. some Baronies, format is altered a little, a sometimes does not include names of parishes and the numbers of occupants in each townland. (which is also broken down by 'English' and 'Irish')

Changes in boundaries would not be surprising if that's the case here, similar differences even show up between Griffiths and the Tithes - e.g. where some townlands appear are listed in different civil parishes.

Cheers for that link. Will be kept busy looking at all these websites.

Barony & Iffa & Offa is located around Clonmel & Clanwilliam covers West Tipp & E. Limerick. Other townlands in the Parish of Emly are shown in the Barony of Clanwilliam but in the Parish of Templebraden.

• Advertisement

If anyone's interested in a section of the 1659 census not found online, post the details and I'll have a look at my transcript. A sample of the details listed for one Co. Dublin Barony here

note : counties Wicklow, Cavan, Tyrone, Galway and Mayo are not included in the census.

Barony & Iffa & Offa is located around Clonmel & Clanwilliam covers West Tipp & E. Limerick. Other townlands in the Parish of Emly are shown in the Barony of Clanwilliam but in the Parish of Templebraden.

I think there are two separate Baronies of Clanwilliam, one in Tipp. the other covering parts of Limerick city and an area of the county to the east and south east of the city - e.g. Castleconnell, Ballyneety etc. Might be confusing the Down survey website...

The Barony of Coonagh is to the south east of the Limerick Clanwilliam, and includes the towns of Doon & Pallasgreen.

All based on the 1851 index as the boundaries were at that time..

From the 1851 townland index it looks like the civil parish of Templebraden/Templebredon covers areas in both Tipperary and Limerick, but the way I read it the Co. Limerick sections are in Coonagh barony. The other sections are shown in Clanwilliam barony (the Tipperary one) It's looking to me like the Down site may have the two Clanwilliams crossed ...

p.s. if this is the case with this example, similar duplicate barony names, although not as geographically close as this one, appear in other counties - e.g. Barony of Bantry in counties Cork and Wexford.

p.p.s. the only listing for Templebraden parish I could find on the 1659 listing is under Clanwilliam, Tipperary as 'Temple Ibridon' with a single entry for a Nicholas Evans of 'Clog Ireda' townland - poss. Cloghaready. Emly parish appears as Imly with about 12 townlands listed.

Shane, All the Tipperary parishes listed here and some background info.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irish/Tipperary/clanwill.htm

So some confusion/errors on the site maybe: I didn't get a google result for Tullaghhortane.

Townland of MOANMORE (ED Emly)
    Down Survey Name: Ballyboy
    1641 Owner(s): Everard of Cashell, Sir Richard (Catholic)
    1670 Owner(s): Everard of Cashell, Sir Richard (Catholic)
    County: Tipperary
    Barony: Iffa and Offa
    Parish: Tullaghortane

Templebraden has a church & little else and has been joined with Pallasgreen for a long time. It seems odd that most of the parish of present day Emly should be included with Templebraden. I naturally assumed that it was a mistake.

I didn't get a google result for Tullaghhortane.

Townland of MOANMORE (ED Emly)
    Down Survey Name: Ballyboy
    1641 Owner(s): Everard of Cashell, Sir Richard (Catholic)
    1670 Owner(s): Everard of Cashell, Sir Richard (Catholic)
    County: Tipperary
    Barony: Iffa and Offa
    Parish: Tullaghortane

closest match for that seems to be civil parish of Tullaghorton - located in the south of the county on the border with Co. Waterford. The parish includes townlands named Ballyboy East, and Ballyboy West.

Advertisement